Regulator/Rectifier HOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/Rectifier HOT!

Greetings. Thank you in advance for taking the time to view my question.

With the left side frame cover removed, and while the motorcycle was warming up, I touched the finned square (reg/rec?) item on the electrical panel on my 1980 GS 1000E.

Bike had been running for less than 3 minutes and finned electrical part was hot to the touch.

Bike was purchased used and the item (reg/rec?) looks to have been replaced as the wiring looks brand new.

How hot does a reg/rec get?

Originally posted by 2whldreams View Post

Bike was purchased used and the item (reg/rec?) looks to have been replaced as the wiring looks brand new.

Hot enough to make you search this forum for this very common problem! Fix it ASAP or live in suspense!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 2whldreams View Post
      Greetings. Thank you in advance for taking the time to view my question.

With the left side frame cover removed, and while the motorcycle was warming up, I touched the finned square (reg/rec?) item on the electrical panel on my 1980 GS 1000E.

Bike had been running for less than 3 minutes and finned electrical part was hot to the touch.

Bad connections

The good news is it is probably working if you fix the connections in time.

See GS Charging Health link below.

Comment

Hi,

Clean EVERY electrical connection and ground on the entire bike. Connect the r/r ground wire directly to the negative battery terminal. You may have to solder on an extension wire. Go through the Stator Papers tests to ensure you have a healthy charging system. See the supporting information (a lot of it by that electrical guru, Mr. posplayr) in the electrical section of my little website. What model r/r are you using? Any identifying marks? Can you post a picture? Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X