85 550E wont fire, coil mod has been done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 550E wont fire, coil mod has been done

I did the coil mod and have ridden the bike 5,000 miles on the 4 prong relay i installed. a week ago, it stopped firing. I bought a relay, put it in,, started right up and rode to my house. next time i tried to use it, it wouldnt fire.

bought a second relay, started right up..rode it..turned it off..and it wouldnt restart.

it wont fire.

any ideas what it could be? i realize it could be a second bad relay ...but ..seems crazy.

First thing is verify for sure if you do or don't have spark. If you don't have spark then a bad relay seems suspect but you shouldn't be killing relays that quick.

If you do have spark then your starting issues are elsewhere and replacing the relay as a fix is only a coincidence/hot-start issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      First thing is verify for sure if you do or don't have spark. If you don't have spark then a bad relay seems suspect but you shouldn't be killing relays that quick.

If you do have spark then your starting issues are elsewhere and replacing the relay as a fix is only a coincidence/hot-start issue.
      i agree about the hot-start issue.

Just an update. let me go thru this quickly... the bike shut down last week.. took me two hours to get a new relay..got it, put it on ..rode it.. when i turned it off..wouldnt start again. next day put a new relay..it started... today rode it back home, turned it off...it wouldnt restart... let it sit.. now it starts.

I dont know if the pick up coils could be the issue. I am not too familiar with bikes..mostly cars and trucks. kind of guessng right now.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. timbaux,

Try the troubleshooting tips in the electrical section of my little website. Here's a "mega-welcome" for you.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff i am not sure you understand how great of a service you provide here. Those tech tips and diagnostic steps are priceless. thanks! i am going to deal with the 550 today i hope..but its rainy day in new orleans now.

Comment

Mechanical relays are susceptible to vibration, hopefully you shock mounter the relay so engine vibration can't be transmitted to the device at full levels

Comment

Working...
            X