Add running lights to 2 wire signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add running lights to 2 wire signals?

I have a set of 2 wire turn signals that i want to install on the front, but I would also like to keep the running lights, which needs 3 wires and a dual filament bulb. Is there a way to allow the bulb to be lit until the turn switch is activated, then go to blink mode? It cant be as simple as twisting the 2 hots together could it?

I assume you're going aftermarket. Stock 1150 fronts have running lights, (dual element bulb) which i assume you know, owning one and all. the dual element 1157 bulbs have different pins and wont fit into an 1156 socket. You could probably use some jumper wires and test with a battery to not endanger the cycles electrical system. Or are you trying to make a single element bulb stay on continuously, and blink when needed?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Trailer adapter.

Get one with power, ground, turn, turn and brake wires for inputs.
      There are others that are missing the ground or power wires that won't work well for this.

The idea is that it converts your lights to running lights but when you turn the blinker on it turns that side off and on until the blinker stops, then it resumes the normal running lights.

By two wire lights, I'm assuming you mean 1156 bulbs with one filament.

Otherwise it would be a 2 filament 1157 bulb with 3 wires.

In that case all you need to do is give it switched power to the low element. Connect ground to ground, and the high filament to the blinker wire.
      That would give you always on running lights but the blinkers would be brighter when they are flashing.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

It's theoretically possible to do it with a relay that has a 87a terminal on it. This terminal would be powered when the relay isn't switched on, so you could connect the turn signal to that, then have the turn signal wire activate the relay. This way when the turn signal would normally be on, it would actually turn the bulb off. You'd need a flasher unit that doesn't rely on the electrical load for it to work, though. I have not done anything like this myself, and don't know if it's practical, but I figured I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

Comment

No cableguy, it is not that simple as twisting two wires together. Yes, it can be done. However, I suggest that you either understand relays really well before attempting it, or have someone who does perform the work for you.
          It is a giant PITA to do, but it can be accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaJones View Post
            No cableguy, it is not that simple as twisting two wires together. Yes, it can be done. However, I suggest that you either understand relays really well before attempting it, or have someone who does perform the work for you.
            It is a giant PITA to do, but it can be accomplished.
            I'm no electrical genius but I did suspect as much. It never hurts to ask and confirm. I found some ridiculously inexpensive dual-filament (3 wire) lights that are identical, but with white bodies (hence the low price). That I can transfer the the guts over to my black bodies and avoid the hassle of wiring and relays and unnecessary work. Thanks all for the response and input

Comment

I just take trailer lights and steal the nsockets from them. Swap the sockets out and find a switched hot wire..like to the tail light for the running light side. Now you have rear turn signals WITH running lights also.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X