Ignition timing GS1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition timing GS1000g

Been a while since I posted, My brother was just given a 1980 GS1000g, it's in superb condition and almost completely restored by my father, he's moved on to other projects and didn't want it anymore! Anyway, main problem was a stuck ignition advance unit which was fixed. Last steps are to get timing done and sync carbs. but I can't find any info on timing?

Is timing automatic on these, it does not have points? Bike runs and starts ok but 3&4 cyl. get hot at idle fast, 1&2 stay much cooler. Just looking for advice on how to adjust timing.

Thanks!

Check basscliff's web site for your tuneing info. The diff in temp of the exhaust will probably correct with proper tuneing.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Tola View Post
      Been a while since I posted, My brother was just given a 1980 GS1000g, it's in superb condition and almost completely restored by my father, he's moved on to other projects and didn't want it anymore! Anyway, main problem was a stuck ignition advance unit which was fixed. Last steps are to get timing done and sync carbs. but I can't find any info on timing?

Is timing automatic on these, it does not have points? Bike runs and starts ok but 3&4 cyl. get hot at idle fast, 1&2 stay much cooler. Just looking for advice on how to adjust timing.

Thanks!
      More likely to be carbs than timing IMO. You see cyl 1&4 are fired by the same coil, so if No. 4 is hot then No. 1 should be as well if the timing was retarded on that coil. Having said that, there is no problem with putting a timing light on the motor and checking the timing and adjust as necessary.

Also synch the carbs and adjust the idle mixtures on all cylinders. Do some plug checks.

Comment

Thanks Don , will look into carbs today. As far as timing goes, isit adjustable on this bike. I see the plate and marks for TDC on inner plate, there are three screws holding plate on and plate can be rotated but there is zero info in manuals or online about setting timing on this style of distributor,so I'm assuming it's automatic?

Comment

I don't believe it is adjustable, your plate just has hole's in it correct? it does not have slots to rotate the plate . Meaning it only goes one place.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Shouldn't have to adjust timing there. You can check timing with cams. Check manual on Basscliff's site and should be in there. Also you should check and adjust your vavles, so you can do that while have valve cover off. Should do that before you finish adjusting the carbs. as the lack of valve checks and adjustment can affect those carb. adjustments. Does sound like a carb. problem, but do it all. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by Tola View Post

Thanks!
              Plain and simple your timing is fine. It is you pilot jets or pilot circuit are slightly clogged on the two running hotter redo the carbs and double check the pilots. Take them out and look through them up to a light and make sure they all look the same and are unobstructed with a nice round hole. An air compressor is really needed to clean carbs out or something with enough pressure to blast out crap.

This info is if it appears to be idling fine if it is not idling fine the two cylinders that are cold are the clogged ones.

Last edited by stetracer; 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM.
              My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Working...
              X