Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static ohm test results

Using an analog meter and the Haynes manual for a guide my
    "Rick's" R/R is fried. Ohm, original, stator leads to the R/R are; W/Bl to W/R=7.7, W/Bl to Y=7.8 and W/R to Y=7.7. I foresee a compu-fire R/R and Rick's stator purchase coming up.

Originally posted by jona View Post
    Using an analog meter and the Haynes manual for a guide my
    "Rick's" R/R is fried. Ohm, original, stator leads to the R/R are; W/Bl to W/R=7.7, W/Bl to Y=7.8 and W/R to Y=7.7. I foresee a compu-fire R/R and Rick's stator purchase coming up.

I would double check those results. There are too consistent for being so way off.

Do the Revised Phase B stator tests? You don't need the dummy load, just do the two sets of tests on the stator.
    A.) phase to phase
    B.) phase to ground
    at 5000 rpm

A revised test is at this link; The actual test is on Page 6 of 9. We added the leg to ground AC voltage test as this helps isolate insulation breakdowns to ground using the relatively high 60-80 VAC stator voltage when it is open loop.

Link to Revised PHASE B of Stator Pages with discussion of testing methods:
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3977...4-pm-649k?da=y

Did you do a quick test to start? (for a sanity check)
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-19-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Bike not running. Red wire connection between R/R and stator lead melted.

Comment

Bike not running. Red wire connection between R/R and stator lead melted.
        Not sure what wire that is. The Main RED(+) should not be connected to any of the stator wires.

If you are talking about White with red tracer (W/R) then you should at least rewire according to GS Charging Health and see if it is really gone. The Compufire is good but you may not have a burned stator yet. Of course it is safer to change them out if you have the cash.

Comment

My stator is not wired directly to the R/R. It is original thru the harness. PS Thanks for all your guides posplayr
          Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

My stator is not wired directly to the R/R. It is original thru the harness.
            Why is it still wired that way? Like to live on the wild side?

Comment

Sorry getting back to you so slowly. Reading your "GS charging health", now I'm printing it. When I get my new stator and R/R I will wire it directly. What do you do with the old wires? Just snip them off?

Comment

Sorry getting back to you so slowly. Reading your "GS charging health", now I'm printing it. When I get my new stator and R/R I will wire it directly. What do you do with the old wires? Just snip them off?

The old wires run to the headlamp bucket where they are looped back. I snipped the wire and now have two spare wires in my harness to run from front to back.

I used one of them as part of a coil relay mod to get the kill switch O/W signal to a ignition relay near the battery.

Just tape/heat shrink them back. That shows in the first picture. Actually just looked and it is hard to tell because the whole wire color is covered. There are three which I don't know why at the moment.

Comment

Thanks posplayr. I'm going to order compu-fire R/R and Rick's stator tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X