Stranded HELP, starter relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azr View Post
    So we found some ****ty grounds and such and and extra wire someone put in from the neg on the battery. Can someone tell me where the two black/white wires go that come from the main wiring harness. They come out right by the battery/relay. I remember one going to the front battery box bolt but where does the other go??
    If you look at the attachment to the first post in GS Charging health

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

It gives and example of GS1100E grounding on the side plate. The side plate/solenoid bracket is basically the system ground because the R/R is mounted to it and grounded to it. There is a B/W wire from the harness going to the same ground plate at the solenoid bolt.

This is the reason I pull all those grounds together and put them oat a common point usually the R/R mounting bolt. I use that bolt (vs. the solenoid bolt) because the R/R ground is more important (to charging) than the solenoid ground (only used to activate the starter)

However if you don't have the solenoid bracket grounded one way or another (which seems to be your problem) the solenoid and in turn the starter will not activate.
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-25-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      A wifi connection at the hotel wont show up on a phone bill.
      Yeah... I'm just ragging on him..
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Like Trevor said guys, thanks a ton for the support. It was a late night that night and nothing was making sense in my head. So..Trevor had been having starting problems the week before, when his bike heated up sometimes the start button wouldn't start up the bike until you get it minute to cool down a bit so he was telling me. So, I had starter in my head. Then he couldn't start the bike at all except by bumping it. Relay or Starter I was thinking. That night we pulled the relay as we could hear it clicking when trying to start it with the start button. There was an extra wire from the negative battery terminal to the relay, I guess what must have happened is it was touching the positive wires causing the sparking. With your guys help I just cleaned things up and put the stock wires back where they belonged and we had starter action. Then we lost it. Took a quick look his main ground wire to the battery and it was black, simple clean up and all the lights were green and the starter was working as it should! bit of a headache to get there but sure felt good to have power again. Good advice on the grounding suggestion, I do that on all my bikes. Really Trevor should do a wiring harness clean up I think and do the single grounding point, as well check his coil voltage and do the coil relay mod if needed. Well, we had a great ride with some fun times bump starting and 'other' issues. Some good IPA beer and fantastic roads. Thanks again guys.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
        X