ignitor test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignitor test

I used my multimeter to test my ignitor, and only get something on the negative 4 post and positive 7 post, nothing else anywhere else. I used the test procedure in the gs550e manual, this means my ignitor is toast right? bike is the 85 EF.

my coils tested at 3ohms, the signal generator tested at 345ohms. the ignitor had nothing and looks real bad. I will track down a stock ignitor and hopefully that helps.

Comment

I also just did the igniter test written by Billy Ricks, and it had intermitten spark on number 2 plug only.

Comment

One hopes you are doing the igniter test as per the OEM manual.
        If the bike sparks OK then its not the igniter.

Are yah getting a decent spark on all plug caps? The spark on my bike is not overly large or bright but the thing runs like a bat out of hell.

Comment

im only getting spark on number 2 plug. that would explain why occasionaly it would fire for a second or 2.

I checked both sides of the coils, even swapped them with a good know pair of coils and same results. I tested both signal generators I got and they checked the same.

I will try and find an igniter and try that after I rebuild and clean the carbs.

Comment

if i were you i would look into the dyna s, it will replace the igniter and is just a little more than a used igniter on ebay. got mine for 117 free shipping and the cheapest ignitor i could find was around 90 bucks used with no knowledge if it worked or not.

Comment

ive read the dyna system doesn't fit the 83-86 550s.

Comment

Well some thing is amiss because if you have spark on #2 you should also have it on #3 because they fire at the same time, bad plugs, bad caps , some thing . Check all your grounds . 1and 4 fire together and 2and 3 do. You need to look deeper.
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

i get spark on all 4 plugs now, even though they aren't real snapping, theres spark. thanx alot

Comment

Working...
                  X