Another turn signal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another turn signal question

Ok, let's say we replace the turn signals with Led units and a electronic flasher made for Led's. The mini bulb in the dashboard is the original bulb. Does the old bulb need replaced with a Led or will the original bulb function correctly with the electronic flasher?

Originally posted by mash35231 View Post
    Ok, let's say we replace the turn signals with Led units and a electronic flasher made for Led's. The mini bulb in the dashboard is the original bulb. Does the old bulb need replaced with a Led or will the original bulb function correctly with the electronic flasher?
    The old flasher with all LED's is the problem not anything else. So a new flasher with LED's and an old bulbs should work assuming the flasher has the current capacity. The small 5W bulbs in the dash should not overwhelm the flasher.Does the flasher have a max current rating?

This looks like it is supposed to be a plug in replacement and is rated at 20 amps so no problems there.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I replaced the original flasher with a flasher made for Led's (in the original post). The old mini bulb in the dash causes a problem. Without the "old bulb" the turn signals work fine, by putting the old bulb back in all 4 turn signals blink...I replaced the old mini bulb with a new mini bulb and the same thing happens..when I use a turn signal all 4 led's blink. I'm thinking the bulb in the dash needs to be a led...The schematic...which is old and hard to read...shows a tap from the 2 turn signals feeding 1 bulb...Maybe bleed through causing the other set of led's to blink?

Comment

leds work with so little current that it is feeding thru the cluster bulb and lighting up the turns.

place two small diodes in each point where the split is to the bulb and they will isolate each branch.
        i forget which way they should go but try it both ways.. one will work!!

the diode should be able to handle .1 amp for that bulb so just find them on any old PC board..if they are bigger than tiny they should work.. but someone else may give you a better description!!
        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Barnbiketom. Now it makes sense. I wonder if anyone on The Gs Resources has converted all of the lighting to Led on a old Gs like mine? Sounds like a cool project. Red led for oil pressure, blue for high beam, green for neutral, and yellow for turn signals....oh yea and the gage lighting to white....

Comment

It doesn't matter what light you have in you dash, you need a diode in there since the led turn signals do not provide enough resistance.

Check out the post called "everything you need to know about LED turn signals."

Comment

Working...
            X