1983 Suzuki GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mont_man22 View Post
    anyone have a quick link to cleaning grounds?
    A good wire brush on all surfaces, a little dielectric grease to help keep out corrosion and I use stainless steel star washers on both sides of the ground terminals so they dig in real good and maintain a good ground. You might be interested in some of these for replacement and to extend a single point from the battery negative to different parts of the bike so it isn't relying on bolted together frame parts for a ground. This would also include the heat sink for your R/R. http://www.z1enterprises.com/ListPro..._parts_May2013
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ok great. That's what I have done with the battery and solenoid connections thus far. Bike is surprisingly clean. I guess until i find something obvious I may never know why the Regulator got roasted. Is it typical for those R/R's to completely melt like my attached image??

Comment

Yes, that's what we have been trying to tell you from the beginning. They are very prone to failure. How they fail depends on the individual condition of the wiring connectors and grounds on the bike and the R/R's particular component failure. Honda had better R/R's than Suzuki, but all the R/R's of that era were not very good. Many of the replacement R/R's for these bikes sold today are not very good. That is why people here have compiled a list of R/R's that have proved to be reliable over the long haul. The series R/R's are at the top of the list, probably the permanent solution. Then there are the listed shunt type R/R's that work the same as the stock R/R's, but built with more modern and tougher components. Some of those also have a voltage reference wire that makes them somewhat more reliable. Dead last is the OEM replacements and aftermarket replacements.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

This is what I ordered. Anxiously waiting its arrival and will run all the appropriate tests off Basscliffs site

Comment

Bike is charging nicely! Thank goodness. One question though, if anyone else has a stock gs750e where are your RPM's when you go 65mph on the highway in 5th gear??

Comment

Working...
            X