starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting

my 1982 gs 650 doe not start after i sits a few days ,if i use starting fluid it starts and runs fine. have check and i have fuel to carbs when it does not strt . any places to look?

It's in here somewhere:

You probably have a lot of catching up on maintenance to do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by larryd View Post
      my 1982 gs 650 doe not start after i sits a few days ,if i use starting fluid it starts and runs fine. have check and i have fuel to carbs when it does not strt . any places to look?
      Do you understand the correct way to use " choke" knob or lever??? and what climate are you and your bike in?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

starting

I HAVE TRIED THE CHOKE BUT it did not help it is 80 degrees here. i did notice when i put a spark plug on one of the wires and grounded to the engine it did not seem t to have a spark , but then all of a sudden it would. it takes a least 3 days to a week for the not starting problem to start.

Comment

Have you tried to prime your float bowls after it sits a few days?
          Prime is a setting on your petcock. The gas may be evaporating in your bowls.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The first thing to do is GET RID OF THE STARTING FLUID.

Next, I would recommend getting caught up on carb cleaning (with new o-rings) and valve adjustment.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Next time it sits for the week or so, before trying to start it, put the battery on a small charger (1 amp) for an hour or two. See if that makes a difference.
              You could have a marginal battery (or marginal charging system), and after a couple weeks that battery isn't strong enough. May sound like it is cranking okay, but maybe its not really and battery voltage is low enough that ignition system isn't working well.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by larryd View Post
                I HAVE TRIED THE CHOKE BUT it did not help it is 80 degrees here. i did notice when i put a spark plug on one of the wires and grounded to the engine it did not seem t to have a spark , but then all of a sudden it would. it takes a least 3 days to a week for the not starting problem to start.
                OK, as Redman said, might just be battery-losing its charge after a few days of sitting. Got a multimeter? battery should still read > 12.5 volts before you commence cranking. If its too low, you'll get an erratic spark even if it keeps cranking away.
                As a reminder, if you use "choke" do not apply any throttle input- even in 70's , mine needs full "choke" if it's stone cold- but it starts instantly
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

+1 on the prime and battery check.

Does this one have the choke lever? Try tightening the screw on the choke lever. I had a problem where it would loosen up, and then it wouldn't stay at 100% choke, causing it not to start.
                  Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                  X