coil relay mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil relay mod

I purchased an Optronics relay from Advanced Auto today. The package says to use 30 as terminal for lights and horns and 87 as terminal from power source. This is opposite from the tutorials. Which should I use ?

Originally posted by luvnwunderwoman View Post
    I purchased an Optronics relay from Advanced Auto today. The package says to use 30 as terminal for lights and horns and 87 as terminal from power source. This is opposite from the tutorials. Which should I use ?

87(NO) and 87a(NC) are the usual outputs
    NO-Normally open
    NC-Normally closed.

But is those are the manufacturer's (i.e. Optronics) recommendation then do what they say.

Comment

They have turned #87 in a different orientation from 85, 86 and 30 and designated it the input, but it really doesn't matter if you use 87 or 30. It is a heavy duty 40 AMP normally opened single pole single throw switch that doesn't care which side is line or load and will work equally well either way. I have the A-715A on my bike. I suspect it is a misprint on the part of the Taiwan manufacturer and 30 should be the input and 87 should be the output according to standard practices. I wired mine per the printed information and it works fine.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 06-14-2013, 12:47 AM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I used 30 as the input and it is working fine. I sincerely thank you for your replies.
        Nick

Comment

The only time it will make a difference is if there is also an 87a terminal and you are using the relay to direct power to either what is on 87 or on 87a. In that case, you will definitely want to have 30 as the power source.

Actually, if you wish to choose between two sources for a single load, you will want 87 and 87a as your two sources and 30 will be your load.

Bottom line: electrically, it does not matter, only how you are using it in the circuit.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X