Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
    Ah, so your in sales

I'd like to know what clamp tom is using and it's accuracy tolerances. You know just to verify whether his stator could possbly test different than yours or his clamp/meter indeed lacks in accuracy in the amount you indicate.

Just cuse, I like to be through and analytical when there's time to waste
    Perhaps you missed the point that, when expected and with completely different stators and R/R's, Tom's 120 hz reading matched my measurements that I took close to 3 years ago. I don't think that is chance.

Further, his 400 hz measurements are all explainable, again not chance.

I'm not wondering why you think there is further data required on the setups; It is all explainable

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Perhaps you missed the point that, when expected and with completely different stators and R/R's, Tom's 120 hz reading matched my measurements that I took close to 3 years ago. I don't think that is chance.

He copied from you

Further, his 400 hz measurements are all explainable, again not chance.

I'm not wondering why you think there is further data required on the setups; It is all explainable
      And the scientist turns religious, it's all an act of god. I'm also glad to see you spread the word of the SH-775's coming as the chosen one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
        Ah, so your in sales

I'd like to know what clamp tom is using and it's accuracy tolerances. You know just to verify whether his stator could possbly test different than yours or his clamp/meter indeed lacks in accuracy in the amount you indicate.

Just cuse, I like to be through and analytical when there's time to waste
        As stated in my first post, no idea on accuracy claims on anyhing above 60 Hz. No manual- got meter off friend whose shop I wired- "UTI" is brand
        Unusual thing about this meter compared to most clampons is it has low scale ranges ; up to 2 amp, up to 20 amp and up to 200 amp. Checks out good on my 60 Hz stuff.
        I was looking for a comparison reading between the two R/R's - the meter error should be the same on both at 400 Hz.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks tom203 and posplayr. You have confirmed my decision to use the SH-775 should I have the opportunity to do so. I really appreciate your efforts to help out the community. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Nice to see some confirmation.

Prices seem to be holding fairly stable at most of the Polaris parts retailers.

Nic
            83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Just ordered one from Del Rio Honda in Texas. 68 bucks.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

How are the current model bikes handling their charging duties? For instance, is my 2009 FZ1 using a shunt system or series?
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  As stated in my first post, no idea on accuracy claims on anyhing above 60 Hz. No manual- got meter off friend whose shop I wired- "UTI" is brand
                  Unusual thing about this meter compared to most clampons is it has low scale ranges ; up to 2 amp, up to 20 amp and up to 200 amp. Checks out good on my 60 Hz stuff.
                  I was looking for a comparison reading between the two R/R's - the meter error should be the same on both at 400 Hz.
                  I did that calculation; you seem to be at 75% of actual at 400 hz

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                    How are the current model bikes handling their charging duties? For instance, is my 2009 FZ1 using a shunt system or series?
                    Neither.

Fortunately for us, modern bikes (most that I know of) put an alternator behind the cylinders -- to keep the engine narrower, for one thing. An alternator's output is controlled by simply adjusting the current through its field windings, so the magnetic field's strength is the variable. On our older bikes, that's fixed.
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      Neither.

Fortunately for us, modern bikes (most that I know of) put an alternator behind the cylinders -- to keep the engine narrower, for one thing. An alternator's output is controlled by simply adjusting the current through its field windings, so the magnetic field's strength is the variable. On our older bikes, that's fixed.
                      There are still alot of modern bikes that don't have alternators and that suffer even worse charging problems because EFI requires a high current draw fuel pump and so the total power requirements can approach 40 amps.

These guys problems could not even be fixed with a SERIES R/R they also had to resort to using an oil sprayer in combination with Series R/R.

Comment

Originally posted by btbarb View Post
                        A specific post: Polaris part number 4012941

A whole thread: SH775 Sourcing
                        I'm a bit late rejoining the thread, but just wanted to say thanks!
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          There are still alot of modern bikes that don't have alternators and that suffer even worse charging problems because EFI requires a high current draw fuel pump and so the total power requirements can approach 40 amps.

These guys problems could not even be fixed with a SERIES R/R they also had to resort to using an oil sprayer in combination with Series R/R.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1371324317
                          There's some commonality between that thread about Buell charging issues, and this one in our own Discussion area http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=210184

For the Buells, there's guys with newer bikes that are supposed to be top-notch...yet have the same charging and electrical issues that we have on our 30 year old machines, or maybe even worse.

Newer isn't always better!

Comment

Thanks for doing the test. I switched from a shindengen shunt right at the discovery of the sh775 so it's nice to have some confirmation. I've had no probs with mine.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X