Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS450 electrical gremlin. Rectifier??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS450 electrical gremlin. Rectifier??

Last week the eyelet on the positive battery cable broke last night I decided it would just be easier to make a new cable so I did installed it fired the bike up twice. This morning I hoped on headed to work about 15 miles stopped for fuel at a gas station about 3 miles in battery wouldnt kicked over called my mother in law to go to my house and get my jump box. Started up pretty easy my MIL said she would follow me the rest of the way just to make sure. Good thing said did. I took off headed for work bike did great up until 3 block from work at a red light. I pulled up stopped kick down to 1st boom everything goes out I push it in to a parking lot got it jumped off after a couple of minutes finished the short trip no problem but I parked in the front of my building where I would normally park a cage not thinking to park in the shade. Go inside cool my temper and decided to move to the shade stick the key in no lights or nothing. Checked it several times today still no power. I've checked my grounds and other wires everything seems to be good.

Also one of the carbs started to drip a little like it has a stuck float. Rectifier maybe?? I'm awful with electrical. Please help

Been on the battery charger for 2 hours stuck the key in bright headlight and insterment cluster lights didn't attemp to start it yet though

Comment

Possibly a dead battery. If you have a multimeter I'd suggest you charge it and keep an eye on the discharge rate, see if it holds a charge as it should.

I had the same issue with my bike, started it via bump-starts for the short ride home, checked the battery - completely dry!

You may want to look into the charging system just to be safe. There's a chart on Bikecliff's site somewhere that is easy-peasy to diagnose any issues with.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffasaurus2 View Post
        Possibly a dead battery. If you have a multimeter I'd suggest you charge it and keep an eye on the discharge rate, see if it holds a charge as it should.

I had the same issue with my bike, started it via bump-starts for the short ride home, checked the battery - completely dry!

You may want to look into the charging system just to be safe. There's a chart on Bikecliff's site somewhere that is easy-peasy to diagnose any issues with.
        Thanks I'll check in to that. my battery is about 2 weeks old surely it's not dry already?

Comment

Originally posted by Revelation22 View Post
          Thanks I'll check in to that. my battery is about 2 weeks old surely it's not dry already?
          If the R/R is faulty and you are getting over 15 volts, it's quite possible.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome thanks for the info guys

Comment

Working...
            X