Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS750E - lost spark on 2 cylinders then all 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E - lost spark on 2 cylinders then all 4?

I've heard that the GS750E bikes have weak ignition parts that tend to fail...

Is there a main fuse or main box that goes on these bikes...

Up until now the bike has run well...I have been playing around with the carbs and thought the 2 cylinder not always firing had to do with that, but now I have not spark from all 4 cylinders.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Originally posted by coolio View Post
    I've heard that the GS750E bikes have weak ignition parts that tend to fail...
    They usually fail only after decades of poor or no maintenance. After many GSes and many many miles, I've never had one fail, although I have bought quite a few bikes for a song because they wouldn't charge anymore. Always they had been neglected.

Easy stuff to fix in most cases. There are better parts available now than the original small regulators and cheap connectors.

Go through the Stator Papers here somewhere, do all of the testing:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks...

Thanks for all the info...

I've wanted to learn about the charging systems, etc for sometime...

The long weekend is approaching so I'll have a project to get this bike running again...

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

Your ignitor and signal coils appear similar to my 650; you need to check to see if ignition coils and ignitor have at least 11 volts going to them (before cranking)- any less and ignitor might not fire during cranking as voltage drops even further. Losing two cylinders and then all four sounds like low system voltage- i.e. poor charging,weak battery. 30 year old wiring is a good suspect
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X