Paper-ing my Stator: Or... Electricity confuses me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some pics...

BTW, I know the stator screws are missing, I'd taken them out again after pulling the cover to inspect the harness in order to dab a little loctite.

View 1 of wear marks from flywheel rubbing on stator wire holddown (this is after I straightened it back out from slightly bent)

View 2 of wear marks from flywheel rubbing on stator wire holddown

View of holddown properly installed

Wider view of cable routing

View 2 of cable routing

Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
      I just re-inspected - the wires look pristine inside the cover, and I was careful from the get-go to route them correctly. When I boogered the hold-down it was actually putting less pressure on the wires as opposed to more, and from looking at the wear mark on the hold-down I can't imagine that process could have damaged the wires.

Is there something else I can look for to nail this down? Am I even looking for the right thing as I'm inspecting for damage to the stator harness?

Edit: Adding another data point here...

I might need to recharge the battery for this measurement to be valid after 10-12 times cranking the thing today, but...

Battery (engine off): 12.7 VDC
      Battery (2500 RPM): 13.4 VDC
      Battery (5000 RPM): 13.0 VDC

Not very encouraging, but if it's helpful for diagnostic purposes it'll offset the frustration.

Edit 2: As an aside, that upgraded crimper works like a dream, so at least that went right. And I'm frustrated, but not depressed yet. If this ride weren't my daily driver this twist would probably be a cool adventure.
      Please re review the Quick Test; I believe there are 6 steps.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Please re review the Quick Test; I believe there are 6 steps.
        OK cool - if we've talked about the Quick Test before I though it was referring to something in one of the stator documents or one of BassCliff's PDF's rather than a thread title. My mistake.

But I found the link in your signature and will give it a go once I top off the battery.

Comment

OK cool - if we've talked about the Quick Test before I though it was referring to something in one of the stator documents or one of BassCliff's PDF's rather than a thread title. My mistake.

But I found the link in your signature and will give it a go once I top off the battery.
          The static 12.7V is OK, but if with key on it drops too far then the charging numbers will be low. That is why the request to measure all 6 voltages.

Comment

And the old analog meters had a zero adjust

My Fluke 75 has an auto ranging and manual ranging. Not sure how that affect the zero calibration on the ohm meter
            I use a first-generation Fluke 77, which has auto-ranging, but you can also select to lock it to a single range.
            No difference in zero calibration.

Side note, my plan for the moment is to:

Keep the bike on its center stand
            Tip it to the right
            Slip a 3" wood block under the left-side center stand foot

If memory serves, this will let me take that cover off without invoking memories of the Exxon Valdez.
            A short section of 2x4 will do just fine.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look very carefully at wires right where they come off stator and pass into hold down. Whose stator is this? it's a lovely color
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Look very carefully at wires right where they come off stator and pass into hold down. Whose stator is this? it's a lovely color
                Thanks, Tom203.

It's a Rick's, and yes, the color actually makes me kind of bummed that it'll never be seen.

As for inspecting those connections right off the coils, that makes sense. But the new unit is pretty snug on there and I'm a little paranoid about damaging insulation and connections when removing it to check the back side. I tried wedging my finger under to scoop it out, but apparently I don't have enough grip strength.

Maybe pry gently back and forth with a hardwood stick against the outer edges?

Comment

The static 12.7V is OK, but if with key on it drops too far then the charging numbers will be low. That is why the request to measure all 6 voltages.
                  OK, back with the full data set...

Quick Test results (VDC):
                  Key off = 12.9
                  Key on +10sec = 12.3
                  1500 RPM = 13.8
                  2500 RPM = 13.2
                  5000 RPM = 13.1
                  Key off = 13.0

If I'm reading the quick test correctly...
                  - I'm charging
                  - I should be getting more voltage at 2500 RPM than at 1500

Edit:
                  So I think I'm still having stator problems, despite the new unit. Possibly related to the 40VAC I'm getting when I measure leg->ground?
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Some big pictures of the stator backside - not too sure what I'm looking for here - but kind of surprised that it's not more obvious where the wires connect to the windings. Perhaps protected under all that insulation?

Sidenote - Tom203, obviously I got the stator out.

Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

OK, back with the full data set...

Quick Test results (VDC):
                      Key off = 12.9
                      Key on +10sec = 12.3
                      1500 RPM = 13.8
                      2500 RPM = 13.2
                      5000 RPM = 13.1
                      Key off = 13.0

If I'm reading the quick test correctly...
                      - I'm charging
                      - I should be getting more voltage at 2500 RPM than at 1500

Edit:
                      So I think I'm still having stator problems, despite the new unit. Possibly related to the 40VAC I'm getting when I measure leg->ground?

Yes you are charging and the voltage is low. But the voltage is also decreasing from idle indicating poor connections.

Proceed to Revised Phase A to confirm. Measure voltage drops at 5K RPM between R/R and battery.

Finally STEP #3.) Perform Stator Paper Checks. The stator pages checks are not perfect, but they are designed to help you through a process of elimination in determining what is wrong with your charging system. The good news about doing steps #1 and #2 above first, is that when the stator pages say to check your connections you know you already have done it. Here is the update.

Make sure you do these two tests and report the results for diagnosis.
                      STEP #2 MEASURE POSITIVE LEAD VOLTAGE DROP
                      STEP #3 MEASURE NEGATIVE LEAD VOLTAGE DROP

Link to Revised PHASE A of Stator Pages:

ORIGINAL_STATOR_PAGES

The most important thing to do checks at 5000 RPM which is typical cruising speed. You might find that you will need to clean your fuse box to get the positive side voltage drops below 0.2V at 5000 RPM. In steps #1 above you should of gotten most of the connections between the R/R(+) to battery (+) in good shape except the fuse box.

Comment

Nice pics! My gut tells me that's a very sloppy winding job- I wonder who does this for Rick's these days. Steve is getting some stators rewound- maybe he can post a pic of what his guy is doing so we can compare.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes you are charging and the voltage is low. But the voltage is also decreasing from idle indicating poor connections.

Proceed to Revised Phase A to confirm. Measure voltage drops at 5K RPM between R/R and battery.
                          OK, here goes...

With the engine at 5K rpm...

Black lead to "+", red lead to R/R red output wire (still connected - I pushed the lead into the connector): -0.01VDC

Red lead to "-", black lead to R/R Black/White output wire: 0.00VDC

(And again, my R/R is connected directly to the batt "-". I'm planning to replace that lug as the insulation was munged in the last 1/2", but I wrapped that spot with electrical tape when I first started this process.)

Edit: In fact, as we've discussed, I'm planning to replace the whole dang R/R, which will no doubt come with a new lug.

Comment

OK, here goes...

With the engine at 5K rpm...

Black lead to "+", red lead to R/R red output wire (still connected - I pushed the lead into the connector): -0.01VDC

Red lead to "-", black lead to R/R Black/White output wire: 0.00VDC

(And again, my R/R is connected directly to the batt "-". I'm planning to replace that lug as the insulation was munged in the last 1/2", but I wrapped that spot with electrical tape when I first started this process.)

Edit: In fact, as we've discussed, I'm planning to replace the whole dang R/R, which will no doubt come with a new lug.
                            OK that means that you are barely charging indicating that perhaps the stator really is shorted out. If there were big voltage drops I would say there was plenty of resistance causing the voltage drop but that doesn't appear so.

Comment

OK that means that you are barely charging indicating that perhaps the stator really is shorted out. If there were big voltage drops I would say there was plenty of resistance causing the voltage drop but that doesn't appear so.
                              But with the stator fresh out of the box... defective unit?

Edit: Just sent a friendly note to Rick's with some of the data you guys have helped me gather and asking for help. Also sent a pic of the unit so hopefully they'll believe that this unit I bought nearly two years ago has really been on a shelf till this weekend and have sympathy.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

But with the stator fresh out of the box... defective unit?

Edit: Just sent a friendly note to Rick's with some of the data you guys have helped me gather and asking for help. Also sent a pic of the unit so hopefully they'll believe that this unit I bought nearly two years ago has really been on a shelf till this weekend and have sympathy.

Mow, back to electricity...

I didn't get quite the readings I expected

Passive resistance
                                Leg-->Leg PASS

Leg-->ground PASS
                                L
                                L
                                L

VAC at 5K RPM

Leg-->Leg PASS

Leg-->ground What the?
                                I could only recommend redoing these tests and insuring that the meter is working properly first.

Test VAC using a 120V outlet in your house. You could go to radio shack and buy some 1 or 2 ohm resistors to confirm your meter is correct. If you get the same answers I would still say there is a short to ground of the stator.

Comment

Working...
                                X