Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping in a 775?

There are some interesting dimensional differences. Take a look here:

The 009 is a much 'meatier' unit! I measured a difference of about 6mm in depth of the bolt holes, so you'll need shorter fasteners, or washers. Look at how much more cooling is provided on the 775!
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Which is which; not clear. The one on right with deep fins is sh775?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203
      Yep, here's my install in my spare R/R location-tight fit, but readily accessible.It's actually mounted on a aluminum plate.
      Now, here is a person who believes in redundancy. Not a fan of long walks in unfamiliar territory, I take it?

So your primary (operational) R/R is still under the battery box somewhere?

Comment

After testing the SH775, I'm convinced it's the way to go- so it's my primary R/R. Should it behave oddly, I can fall back on the backup shunt R/R under airbox (all wiring in place and ready to go !)
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Interesting concept.

Comment

Yes, it's a bit bigger unit. Here's the size comparison to the Honda R/R

[/URL][/IMG]

I mounted my SH-775 on the right side of the battery box, where the defunct turn signal control box was. The bolt heads are round allen head, so they don't contact the battery at all.

[/URL][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
              Yes, it's a bit bigger unit. Here's the size comparison to the Honda R/R

[/URL][/IMG]

I mounted my SH-775 on the right side of the battery box, where the defunct turn signal control box was. The bolt heads are round allen head, so they don't contact the battery at all.

[/URL][/IMG]
              Where did you get the plug connectors and can you post a connection diagram for us electrically challenged folks? I just got my 775 today.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                Where did you get the plug connectors and can you post a connection diagram for us electrically challenged folks? I just got my 775 today.
                Plug connectors came from Eastern Beaver:

About 1/2 way down the page, you'll find these:

NEW! - FH012/010 Connectors with Leads

Those will fit the SH775. Yellow leads are to the stator leads. Polarity not important. Red is +12V output. Black to battery negative terminal.

EDIT: I got the shorter leads - they're plenty long enough.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post

About 1/2 way down the page, you'll find these:

NEW! - FH012/010 Connectors with Leads

Those will fit the SH775. Yellow leads are to the stator leads. Polarity not important. Red is +12V output. Black to battery negative terminal.
                  There's also this (or one similar, if this listing ends). Bring your own wire and inline fuseholder and you can roll your own.

They specify Furukawa connectors, so they almost have to be open barrel like Eastern Beaver's (which is what I bought), so if you don't have an open barrel crimper, the finished Eastern Beaver set that 850GT_Rider pointed out might still be less expensive overall.

A third option is to use the 1/4" connectors and seal the openings yourself in a way you're comfortable with.

Comment

Thanks. Apparently the SH775 is already an obsolete unit? From what I just read it seems the newer units are using Mosfets and the SH775 doesn't?

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Thanks. Apparently the SH775 is already an obsolete unit? From what I just read it seems the newer units are using Mosfets and the SH775 doesn't?
                      You got somemore reading to do! While the SH775 doesn't have the current output of some of those mosfet units (which most of us don't need), it's a series R/R so it has a big advantage over any (no matter how big) shunt R/R.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not sure why it would be "obsolete", it is part of the Polaris part line-up and started in some of the 2011 models.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just that the yamaha versions of this type of regulator seem to be more up to date with the latest components. An R1 r/r perhaps?

Comment

Just that the yamaha versions of this type of regulator seem to be more up to date with the latest components. An R1 r/r perhaps?
                            You have to be careful what you read on the Internet

Comment

That being said, I was just wondering if indeed it is the case. If the SH775 is the previous tech and the new, better way is going with a, granted more expensive, Yamaha unit, what is the down side?

Comment

Working...
                              X