Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running bike off car battery - any risks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside of the “keep it original, that’s how they designed it” theme, what considerations are there to using a good-condition car battery that is fully charged as the bike battery while working on the running of bike?

Yes, I understand that I might not be able to fully test the charging system with the car battery in the loop but if I can get the bike to run well, then I'll buy the battery.

I am asking because I’m in the middle of a re-build and want to make sure the bike runs well before buying a dedicated battery.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

As long as it is a stand alone 12V battery it shouldn't make any difference.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

no problem at all....

if hooked up to the car, just make sure car is not running

test away.....

Comment

good to hear and glad it is so straight forward.

I didn't expect it to be so easy but since it is...it begs the question, should I be able to test the stator etc. with the car battery in place?
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Alright. I've read this over and over. "Make sure the car isn't running." What's the difference? 12 volts (nominal) is 12 volts. Why does the bike battery/electric system care if the car is running or not?

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
            Alright. I've read this over and over. "Make sure the car isn't running." What's the difference? 12 volts (nominal) is 12 volts. Why does the bike battery/electric system care if the car is running or not?
            Because you can't have the two charging systems fighting each other. You could very likely fry one or both.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
              Yes, a nominal 12 volts is a nominal 12 volts, but that is not what a car puts out when it is running.

Most cars put out 14+ volts, and have alternators that are capable of doing that at idle speeds. If you connect that to your bike, the regulator (R/R) on your bike is going to try to regulate it to what it thinks is the proper voltage, which might be exactly 14.0 volts. To regulate voltage, it shorts what it considers to be excess directly to ground. When the car sees this load, it increases its output to try to compensate. Meanwhile your R/R is trying DESPERATELY to regulate the voltage by keeping that short to ground active. The problem here is that the R/R is only rated for about 25 amps, the car's alternator is going to be putting out a LOT more than that.

Guess which system loses?

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
              Because you can't have the two charging systems fighting each other. You could very likely fry one or both.
              Well, it's not so much about two systems fighting each other, as I have just shown, it's because the weaker one simply can't handle the output of the stronger one.

Interesting point, on this topic: I had a Kawasaki Voyager 1300 for several years. Very interesting to note that it had TWO stators and TWO R/Rs, and the outputs went to the same terminal to feed the battery and the bike. Two separate charging systems, but they worked together, because they were the same type of system.

Last edited by Steve; 07-10-2013, 06:49 AM.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Well, it's not so much about two systems fighting each other, as I have just shown, it's because the weaker one simply can't handle the output of the stronger one.
                YES, Steve - I understand that and agree with your more detailed explanation. I was trying to give a simple answer.

Plus, there's no guarantee that something's not right on the bike system, and it COULD have a negative effect on the car's electronics. I wouldn't want to bet my car's computer on it......

Comment

Doubt!!

You have all managed to sew the seeds of boubt in my mind.For years we have jump started my sons 1200 bandit from the car with the engine running with no adverse effects to either.Maybe we have been lucky.

Comment

Maybe you were very quick and got it disconnected before anything fried.

And lucky.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by warriormonk View Post
                      You have all managed to sew the seeds of boubt in my mind.For years we have jump started my sons 1200 bandit from the car with the engine running with no adverse effects to either.Maybe we have been lucky.
                      That is because the Bandit has an alternator (like a car), not a stator and R/R setup, like a GS.

It is the way the R/R is wired into the system that is the cause of the "problem" when connected to a running car.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

car battery

Thanks for that Steve.I should have also said I run a gs 850 with a heavy duty car battery, the only electric mods is Dyna S ignition

Comment

Running it with a (12-volt) car battery is no problem at all, as long as that battery is not also connected to a running car.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X