Shindengen SH232-12 wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shindengen SH232-12 wiring question

I'm trying to confirm the wiring for this R/R. Its a six wire: 3 yellow, 1 red, 1 green, 1 black.

I believe the green is the ground and black is a switch 12v. But I have seen some conflicting information on this.

Also, what is the best method to check that the r/r is working. I have a brand new batter in my bike and I'm showing approx 12.4 V with the bike off. When its running at idle its roughly 12-12.1 v. This is with the headlight and tailight on as I don't have a separate switch to shut them off. I also don't have a tach so I don't know RPMS but I'm getting about a high of 13.5ish under pretty heavy throttle. More in the low 13 V range where I'm confortable holding the throttle at for short period of time. Does this sound about right?

Shindengen 232???? my favorite old R/R, but I'm fickle and have moved on to a better R/R! Anyways,the red is positive feed, the green is ground, the black wire is the sense wire (connected to switched + 12 volt ). A brand new battery with everything off should show better than 12.4 , but your other readings are sorta ok- you'll likely see a boost from the SH232.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I don't recall every having a battery show much more than that. Maybe it is my meter, I will try a different one someday and see if there are differences.

What is the better r/r you have switched to?

Comment

It's a Shindengen model SH775- unlike the others ( mostly shunt style) this is a series R/R- it restricts the stator output to what the bike needs at the moment rather than just dumping excess to ground- the stator tends to run cooler. If this is baffling to you, welcome to big club!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X