Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs850 rewire. Can anyone simple this out for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs850 rewire. Can anyone simple this out for me?

So, my wiring is hacked. It's my own fault, honestly. Wanted to get rid of all the extra accessories. Unfortunately, I thought it was an 82, so I used that wiring diagram. Cut out more than I should have and now it won't turn over. Gettin a sweet voltage drop on one of my red wires (2.4 or something instead of anywhere near 12). Can I just replace that one?

I have countless chopper/minimal wiring diagrams, but I have no clue what this stuff is. Reg/rec? What's that one look like? Anyone able to walk me through that whole thing? I can get the wiring order down, but I don't know what the actual pieces are. Paper I get it. Metal I don't. Electricity is voodoo. The whole "I can't see it" thing kills me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for reading, even if that's all it is.

do you have pictures or which colours you cut out?

Comment

An R/R looks something like this.

Most likely be mounted to the bottom of your battery box
      Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakamisu View Post
        do you have pictures or which colours you cut out?
        Honestly? Most of them. All the gauge stuff (gear indicators and all), all the left hand controls, turn signals. Most of the running wiring was good. I had it running, then it stopped again when I pulled a couple more. Unfortunately I don't recall what they were. The clip wire on top of the case (tranny, I think) and the relays came out along with some other stuff (bad connections taken out) and that's when it went kaput. I'm just looking for only running/charging systems on there for now.

Comment

Is the Solid Orange wire still intact?

Comment

Is the Solid Orange wire still intact?
            I'll have to double check tomorrow when it's light out. I pretty sure. Orange gray and brown are all kinda together right? Something like those colors?

Comment

Do you use skype or google hangouts? If I saw what you still had, it would make things alot easier. If you can take some photos that would help too.

Comment

Do you use skype or google hangouts? If I saw what you still had, it would make things alot easier. If you can take some photos that would help too.
                I know what Skype is but that google thing is beyond me. If my iPhone can do it I can do whatever.

Photos are easy. It's a jumbly mess.

Is that big enough to zoom on?

Comment

I'm going to take The wiring diagram off of BassCliff's website and circle the things you must have connected for this thing to work. That might help.

If yours has the "Starter Disconnect Switch", that will need to be closed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsprudhom View Post
                    It's a jumbly mess.
                    I've seen worse. It will take me a few, but I'll get it, maybe. The reason I suggested Skype is we could "walk" the system together.

Comment

That's awesome. Great start. Will do tomorrow. Also, your build thread is helpful as well. Did you ever get an answer to how to nix the gear drive cables for the gauges?

Comment

Originally posted by Jsprudhom View Post
                        That's awesome. Great start. Will do tomorrow. Also, your build thread is helpful as well. Did you ever get an answer to how to nix the gear drive cables for the gauges?
                        Not yet. If it's just capping the gear itself, great. I'm just wondering, since I am going to be tearing the top end off, and removing the assembly, if I could keep it out.

Comment

Also, I know this might sound like an insult (it's not by the way) but make sure you check your grounds as well. That will get you every time.

Comment

Also, I know this might sound like an insult (it's not by the way) but make sure you check your grounds as well. That will get you every time.
                            No offense taken. Is there an easy way to know if its ground or just trace wires? Multimeter?

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply. Wife time. Multimeter is your best bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X