Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS1100e - Using a 2006 GSX6 Left Handel Switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100e - Using a 2006 GSX6 Left Handel Switch.

Hi guys!

My original left handle bar switch is beyond repair.

As a replacement I bought a 2006 GSXR Left handlebar switch.

Does anybody have list of the wires coming out of the turn single control box and there function? If a list is alredy avalable it would be of great help and time saving information.

I will also install a hazard circuit once I figure out what wires do what.

The original turn single switch has 7 wires and the GSXR switch has 3.

Does any body knoy if the 1981 GS1100E have the self canceling option?
    I have the Haynes manual but it is lacking that information.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks for the image.
    I should have been more specific.
    I'm looking for the 1981 GS1100e "turn signle control unit" wire/function list.
    If one exists. and if one does not exist then I will have to figure them out.

That way I can figure out if I can adapt my 2006 gsxr handlebar switch or if I have to look for maybe an aftermarket control unit.

There are 3 wires coming out of the gsx turn signal switch vs 7 from the 1981 GS1100 turn signal switch. See attached image

Comment

I did something similar with both my left and right switches. You'll have to wire your headlight permanently on with the key or put a switch somewhere. I just wired mine up with they key and have had no problems. If no one comes along I can tell you what I wired to what tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
        Thanks for the image.
        I should have been more specific.
        I'm looking for the 1981 GS1100e "turn signle control unit" wire/function list.

See attached image

Believe it or not, you answered your own question.

Look in the lower right corner of your image. You will see a numbered list of devices, and should see that #8 is the "Turn Signal Control Unit".

Look just to the left of that list, you will see item #8.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hone101 View Post
          I did something similar with both my left and right switches. You'll have to wire your headlight permanently on with the key or put a switch somewhere. I just wired mine up with they key and have had no problems. If no one comes along I can tell you what I wired to what tomorrow.
          Excellent and thank you!
          Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by norman1950 View Post
            http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...r=286#imgdii=_

Here it a wire diagram, the switch is in the bottom left...
            Good god....what a diagram.

"Does any body knoy if the 1981 GS1100E have the self canceling option?" No, it did not.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post

"Does any body knoy if the 1981 GS1100E have the self canceling option?" No, it did not.
              Thanks for the answer. !

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post

I don't think that is correct. I am fairly sure the '81 did have it.

Comment

Got it working using this http://blog.suzuki-katana.com/?p=505

Without his image I would have never guessed that the light green/back and brown/yellow had to be together to make the turn signal controller work.

The hazard work but not the way they should.

The passing lights work.

There is a difference in wires size. The GS are bigger then the GSXR600.
                  Do you think that is why the from flashers are dimmer then with the old control.

when I cut the GS wires to solder them with the GSXR I noticed that some of them where oxidized even if the sleeve was not damaged. Is that normal and will I have to change the wires?

Comment

Did this work out

Comment

Working...
                    X