Coil relay mod on a GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    The engine should not be grounded directly to the negative terminal of the battery.
    Hmmmm. The negative battery cable runs from the battery to the engine (well, really to one of the bolts on top of the transmission case). Maybe this bike was assembled wrong at the factory, or maybe the dealer goofed it up when it was under warranty. Where is the threaded bolt hole on the frame for the negative battery cable to be attached to?

The engine should be grounded to the frame at the same place everything else is grounded, then that bolt should be grounded to the negative terminal of the battery.
    So is there supposed to be a ground strap between the engine and the frame? Any idea where that ground strap is attached to the engine and where it is attached to the frame. How long a ground strap will I have to get? (Sounds like I'll have to make a trip to the city next week to see if that ground strap is available from the Suzuki dealer.) Is it one of those woven straps?

The engine should be grounded to the frame at the same place everything else is grounded,
    Looks to me like the black/white strip wire is grounded in multiplt places based on the wiring diagram: the rear turn signals are grounded back near the rear turn signals, the front turn signals are grounded up near the front turn signals, the starter relay is grounded to the mounting plate, the mounting plate is grounded through the black/white strip wire, the black/white strip wire is also attached to the battery box, as is the ignitior. Are you saying that we need to run grounds from the engine to each of these places?

Comment

Find posplayr's thread on grounding to a single point. Follow his directions.

Comment

I disagree about not grounding the motor to the battery negative. That is your starter motor negative. The single point ground doesn't mean that you can't run from battery negative to the motor and the single point ground at the same time. Eliminating the frame and bolted together components as the main ground (or improving it) is the point of providing as close to battery negative as you can get for the entire bike by using a single point ground near the R/R and spidering out to other grounding points from there with appropriate size wire to compensate for distance. You can't eliminate the frame ground by design, but you can eliminate almost all it's inherent faults.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X