strange running and electrical cut out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange running and electrical cut out

so i'm cruising along, and the bike revs up and back fires, and dies. also the electrics just seem to go dead at times when i come to a stop, but can get them put back on by rocking the bike in gear after going thru neutral first, otherwise nothing. i know the regulator/rectifier can be a bad part, but would it cause any bad running problems such as engine surges? thanks for any help guys (and girls).
    Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2013, 06:34 PM. Reason: content

oops i forgot to say

i forgot to mention that my bike is a 1983 gs 450t.

Comment

sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere. start from the battery and work your way through all the electrics checking for dirty or loose connections.
      rectify as necessary
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Wife's 450 did the same thing for a while when first got it running. Turned out to be ignition switch, tried cleaning contacts on bottom, didn't work, bought new ignition switch, never had problem again. terrylee

Comment

thanks..problem fixed

thanks guys. i had just gotten and put in a "newer" ignition switch, so i started at the battery. sure enough BOTH connections were loose. took the battery out, charged her up, put her back in and WOW the bike is a bullet now. thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X