Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition switch

I had the ignition switch out and turned it to the steering lock position
    Now it won't go back. Tried lubing, wiggling the lock tab, and removing the spring and cover, still won't go back. The plunger moves.
    Any ideas?

Yes. If you get it fixed, never lock it again. Very familiar condition with our bikes.
    Other than that, persistence can sometimes overcome resistance. In other words, keep trying.

Comment

I have two locks like that. I think there is a thread where a guy opened it up and filed down the fingers in the tumbler and got to to unlock again.

Comment

Baatfam locked his 1100E on a Fennimore rally and had the same thing occur. We had to remove the ignition switch from the circuit for him to get home. Not sure if he fixed it or replaced it.

Edit, found his thread. He replaced the switch.

Comment

This looks like the thread. Good luck.

Comment

New Key

You probably have a worn key and to solve the issue get a new key cut to code, or find your spare key which is less worn. Any locksmith who is equipped to cut automotive keys should be able to make one to code.

The other option is to use a pair of pliers and carefully turn the key as you pull it out slightly, pulling the key out a mm or so will raise the wafers enough to help turn it back to the off position.

Good luck.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

wear

If only there was a second key! I do have access to a key duplicating machine, may not help due to wear, but can't hurt. The pictures make perfect sense.
              Where is a lock picker when you need one. Anybody have Ziva's number?

Comment

Working...
              X