buying 850 g with probable spark issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying 850 g with probable spark issue

its an 81 850 g.he said his friend was riding it around the block and it just quit.it turns over but wont start.I couldnt test it since his battery was down, had been sitting for 5 months.i know on some bikes there are relays for either the sidestand switch,starter, or the sidestand switch or clutch switch themselves can cause no spark.I will be taking the bike from his house to mine day after tomorrow.he had taken the 'ignition " loose to see if that was the problem.What he had done was cut the wires coming from the starter button and killswitch and tried to make the loose ends start the bike.has nothing to do with the ignition system.His starter button though does have a direct connection to the solenoid if i understand the bike wiring correctly.first thing i will do is reconnect the wires he disconnected.Then I will hit starter button with bike in neutral and clutch lever pulled in and see if it starts.if not, look for blown fuse.fuses ok, look at connector down by sidestand switch.Also see if any hot wire disconnect from battery, to main fuse, to r/r, to ign switch.I will also check grounding.Also check for loose or messed up coil wires.What else should i do?

Question; do these bikes have cdi or tci?
    Last edited by ron bayless; 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
    i know on some bikes there are relays for either the sidestand switch,starter, or the sidestand switch or clutch switch themselves can cause no spark.
    The closest that any GS comes to that is the clutch switch that has to be pulled to engage the starter. There are NO devices that will stop the engine except the RUN/STOP switch and the ignition key.

Question; do these bikes have cdi or tci?
    They do NOT have "CDI".

Not sure what you mean by "TCI", the only thing I can think of is "Transistor-Controlled Ignition".
    If that is what you mean, yes, it's there, that is what we call the "ignitor". "Ignitor" is actually a poor choice of terms for the device, as it does not really "ignite" anything. It's just a box of transistors that takes the place of the points from the earlier bikes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yamahas have tci.Dont know what it means either.Ig niter i am familiar with.Doubt its that, it was running and suddenly quit.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Ron....

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Picture of connector

I tried downloading a picture of the connector only.Will try again.

Comment

dont know where to begin.

I suppose you start trying to pull these bigassed harness out through a space that is too small to pass through, then unplug from the old, fish the new back through, replug back in and hope it all goes to the right places.This has me maxxed out with selfawareness of my inability to do this. IMG_20131003_162654.jpg (67.8 KB)

Comment

Ignition fuse also powers the starter button-solenoid circuit.

Only interlock on the starter solenoid circuit is the switch on the clutch (1980 and after). Doesn't matter what gear or netural. Doesn't matter about any sidestand swtich (if there is one).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The mass of the harness is greatest in the middle, near the battery box.

Pull all of your original harness toward the battery, then locate that part of your new harness and feed it toward the front and rear.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve and Redman.

Comment

Ground wire is toast everywhere I looked.I need wiring 101.Why was it the ground wire was so burned up.I thought it grounded, not conducted electricity. I don't understand flow,please explain.IMG_20131004_115247.jpg (48.1 KB)

Comment

Ground wire is toast everywhere I looked.I need wiring 101.Why was it the ground wire was so burned up.I thought it grounded, not conducted electricity. I don't understand flow,please explain.IMG_20131004_115247.jpg (48.1 KB)
                      Conducting electricity is precisely HOW it grounds.

Electricity always has to return to its source. On a motorcycle the source is either the battery or the rectifier / regulator. You don't really get to decide where the electricity will return to, it needs both, and that is why both have the exact same return path. We call that return path "GROUND".

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post
                        Conducting electricity is precisely HOW it grounds.

Electricity always has to return to its source. On a motorcycle the source is either the battery or the rectifier / regulator. You don't really get to decide where the electricity will return to, it needs both, and that is why both have the exact same return path. We call that return path "GROUND".
                        OK.Then why did the ground wires burn up.If their job is to return the flow, what caused them to overload and burn? I would guess a short ie some broken area in the ground wire touching metal as in the frame. But, I thought that was what you wanted, the ground wire touching the frame.
                        Last edited by ron bayless; 10-05-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Technically speaking, ANY point in a wire that is properly connected to the frame (ground) may be also considered to be ground. So if you have a wire that is connected to ground at one end, touching ground with it ANYWHERE along the length of the wire does exactly ....... nothing. It's like touching the wire to itself, or touching ground to ground.

As for why your ground wire burned, it's for the same reason any other wire would burn: an excess of current went through it, it got hot, and it burned. Just being a ground wire doesn't change a thing, it's just like the positive wire. In fact, every electron that goes through the positive wire from your battery has to go back to the battery, through the negative wire. It's exactly the same current.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post
                            Technically speaking, ANY point in a wire that is properly connected to the frame (ground) may be also considered to be ground. So if you have a wire that is connected to ground at one end, touching ground with it ANYWHERE along the length of the wire does exactly ....... nothing. It's like touching the wire to itself, or touching ground to ground.

As for why your ground wire burned, it's for the same reason any other wire would burn: an excess of current went through it, it got hot, and it burned. Just being a ground wire doesn't change a thing, it's just like the positive wire. In fact, every electron that goes through the positive wire from your battery has to go back to the battery, through the negative wire. It's exactly the same current.
                            That is exactly the kind of explanation I wanted.Thank you.

Comment

Ok, what might be the cause of that happening? An excess of current.

Comment

Working...
                              X