Where do I even start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I even start?

I've been dealing with a surging issue in this thread (the bike surges and lugs when trying to keep steady throttle) and after doing as much carb/fuel troubleshooting as I can, a new wrinkle has occured.

I was out testing riding the bike and I put my blinker on to turn, I noticed that the light stayed steady (not blinking) and the dash lights started to dim. Then a loss of power from the engine. As I came to a stop and tried to idle, the bike died. I hit the starter button and only got a click. I hitchhiked home to get my truck and when I came back I tried again to start the bike. Hit the starter button and the starter motor turned over once but didnt start the bike. Tried again, and just a click. The thought struck me "I wonder if I can push/bump start the bike?" I tried and got it running! The bike seemed to idle fine so I decided to ride it home instead of loading it in the truck. It ran ok for about 1 minute but then the engine lost power and was running like only one cylinder was firing. At the next stop sign, the bike died, but I was able to push start it again and as long as I stayed on the trottle, I was able to ride it home.

I know it will idle on the right cylinder by itself, but not on the left (disconnected spark plugs one at time to find this out) new caps are on the way
    I know it got a new battery last year
    other than that, I assume every other component in the system is original

My problem is I don't know really anything about electrical, so I need to know where to start my troubleshooting?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Not blinking can be a sign of a lack of electricity. Sounds like you have a dead battery. There are lots and lots of threads about the charging system on these bikes. If the battery goes dead while you are riding its a reasonably clear sign that your charging system needs attention.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Recharge the battery; dig up a volt meter and then do a quick test
      Report the results here.

Comment

Electronic ignitions don't work below a certain voltage level. Time to check the charging system and wiring connections.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ok, I'll go see about getting a voltmeter, then I'll be back.

Thanks
          Jeremy

Comment

Working...
          X