Bike's running like a pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike's running like a pig

My bike is running rough, using a multi meter have checked the coils and the secondary windings cap to cap read about 21,000 ohm's. The book say's they should be about 30 to 35 ,000 ohm's. The primary windings are about 4.2 ohm and they're getting over 12 volts to the coil (stock coils). I suspect my problems are electrical as i have had the carbies apart and am hapy with them and i don't believe i have any air leaks etc, have also checked pet cock and fuel cap venting etc. The bike can run quite well at times then it will suddenly run real rough. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated .

Cheers

Richard

you say you are getting "over" 12v at the coils! this is highly unlikely unless you have done the coil relay mod. have yo been through the whole bike and checked all the connections are good clean and tight?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Stock coils with stock caps give about 32000 ohms cap to cap. Aftermarket caps can give you about 24000 cap to cap - this is good.
      What kind of spark plugs do you use? Is the rough running only when it gets hot?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

am using ngk D8EA , the 12 volts i got at the coils was with engine off if that makes a different. I had a spare set of stock coils and only got about 21,000 ohms cap to cap on those as well. If the book say's i should get 30 to 35k ohms should i look at new coils?

Comment

I think both your coil sets are fine. Humor me though, remove/ unscrew plug caps on one set and measure coil wire to coil wire- stock is usually about 12000 ohms.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by carvan40 View Post
            I suspect my problems are electrical as i have had the carbies apart and am hapy with them ...
            You may be "happy with them", ... but are they CLEAN and properly-adjusted?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X