Intermittent warning lights 83 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent warning lights 83 1100

I just purchased this 1983 GS 1100E, It has warning lights on the dash. I get a constant headlamp warning,(everything appears to work fine) I get a intermittent battery warning, and the taillamp warning lights come on and off. I have not purchased a service manual yet. I was hoping maybe someone has seen this. My first guess would be a grounding issues somewhere.

Those panels are known to be a bit picky at times, but the battery issue might be something else, entirely.

Does your battery have a port for a sensor, near the middle of the battery?
    Unless you pay extra money, you don't get that special battery. The way to turn the battery light off is to locate the wire that goes to the battery sensor, connect it to a switched power wire. Any of the fuses in the fuse box would work, but I would chose the SIGNALS fuse (probably the second one from the end).

On the other hand, if you do have that port in the battery, you need to add water to the battery.

That battery light only tells you that one cell in the battery has low fluid. It has nothing to do with voltage or charging status.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Have you visited BassCliffs site yet? He's got a lot of different manuals on top of all the information/vendors/walkthroughs.

Comment

I will check the battery level today thank you.

Comment

+1 on what Steve said. My 1150 headlight/taillight warning lamps have intermittently come on for years. I just check them pre ride and ignore them. I also check my battery on a semi regular basis.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Mine showed taillight out intermittedly on 83 1100. There is a control module located under the tank that sometimes becomes unplugged (check that first) or replace the unit. I have an extra one to sell if you need it.

Comment

Hi All, its been a LongTimeSince I was here last but glad to be back.
              My '83 GS1100E has also been giving me intermittent brake warning light for a while now (not entirely sure when it began) and everything seemed to be working and all wires seemed to be connecting as they should, I too ignored - as much as possible- the random flickering to full on (bright) to off. BUT, about a thousand miles ago the battery kept dying, checked the charging system, low voltage from stator, changed it out. At the same time I went through the wiring for the brake light, again, and found a faulty ground to the bulb holder, fixed that. Brake light still flickers/comes on full. Arrrghh!
              Now I'm getting the head light warning light doing the same thing! WTF!
              Also battery/charging problems have reappeared, still getting requisite 14+ volts from the stator, swapped out the regulator/rectifier as a just in case, new battery...
              In short I'm going nuts trying to work out wtf is going on.
              I have a new solenoid on it's way as well as a kit for the starter motor...

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeSince View Post
                Brake light still flickers/comes on full. Arrrghh!
                Now I'm getting the head light warning light doing the same thing! WTF!
                Originally posted by thewiz View Post
                There is a control module located under the tank. I have an extra one to sell if you need it.
                Its the warning light control module. Buy the one from thewiz.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 09-24-2015, 09:03 PM.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks.
                  I have sent thewiz a pm.

Comment

monitoring unit removal

Hi, this sounds like my 1150, I found an old post in one of the other forums on how to remove it.

Turned out to be super easy, the instructions called for 3 (I think) wires to be looped/jumpered together, when I unwrapped the wires between the 2 plugs and black box I found those wires already there. Just had to cut all of the other wires and tape up, then reconnect the 2 plugs.. bingo, no more flashing headlight, rearlight or battery.. The instructions described how to determine which brown wire to reconnect for the rear light, mine had been problematic and was already wired in with the license plate light.
                    This still leaves the side stand and oil pressure functioning, you may want to try it?
                    Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by TopTechRacing View Post
                      I just purchased this 1983 GS 1100E, It has warning lights on the dash. I get a constant headlamp warning,(everything appears to work fine) I get a intermittent battery warning, and the taillamp warning lights come on and off. I have not purchased a service manual yet. I was hoping maybe someone has seen this. My first guess would be a grounding issues somewhere.
                      I had a problem on my 1100ez check panel lights doing all sorts of crazy things and eventually tracked the problem to an earth continuity problem and a continuity problem on the oil pressure switch wire (essential for the check panel function). See post below.

Comment

Thanks to Bonazadave, the warning light issue is resolved.
                        I found a new one on Ebay from a seller, parmabike.
                        Good price and was actually a brand new (original part, in original box) control module.
                        Soon as I plugged it in and ran the bike no more warning lights.
                        Thanks again Bonazadave.

Comment

I had a new one tonight. The neutral light began flickering at highway speed for about 5 minutes then stopped....
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            I had a new one tonight. The neutral light began flickering at highway speed for about 5 minutes then stopped....
                            Thats a new one on me. Never seen a green unless I was in N. Gear position sensor ?

Originally posted by LongTimeSince View Post
                            Thanks to Bonazadave.
                            PS: How hard is it to spell Bonanza ? BO NAN ZA. I know guys who fly and own Bonanzas that can spell it. Weird......or is it Wierd.....????
                            Last edited by bonanzadave; 10-23-2015, 11:18 PM.
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                            X