anyone out there with this ignitor box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone out there with this ignitor box?

looking for an ignitor box for an 81 gs650g. hard to come by... any thoughts? don't even wanna ask what Suzuki will charge for one.

thanks

You can use a Dyna S even though they don't list application for the GS650G. That model Gs has the oil pressure sensor behind the ignition plate, so the Dyna S back plate needs to be clearanced to allow the switch to poke through.

Most GS ignitors function the same, but some have different plugs. Swap around the plugs, and figure out the mounting, and you should be up and running. Just stay clear of the later model GS's with the spark advance built into the ignitor - 2nd generation 550, 3rd generation 750, 1150, and 2nd generation 850 and 1100G.
    Last edited by Nessism; 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks for the info
      I have a used one currently from an 850 or 1100 and its working fine till I hit 5000 rpm, shift into 5th gear, then she flatlines (can't go any faster). everything is back to stock on the bike (everything) except this. got this off ebay, thought this was the solution till everything else was ruled out. I can get a correct one off ebay now for 40 bucks. what do you think? I know some ignitors operate at different impedances, but I haven't learned about this stuff till recently on the forums
      thanks,
      ken

Comment

the new/used ignitor on ebay is for a gs650gl-any problems putting this one on the g model?

Comment

Originally posted by 81suzi View Post
          I know some ignitors operate at different impedances, but I haven't learned about this stuff till recently on the forums
          No, the ignitors don't "operate at different impedances". All the ignitor is (on the earlier ones) is a box of transistors that interrupt current flow through the coil, just like the mechanical points used to.

The later ignitors (usually '83 and up) also had the ignition advance built it, which is why they are not interchangeable.

Originally posted by 81suzi View Post
          the new/used ignitor on ebay is for a gs650gl-any problems putting this one on the g model?
          If it is for the same year, probably no problem, but check the parts fiche to see if they are the same.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

All the 81-83 650 shafties used same ignitor. But I don't think this is your problem as described in other forum ( flat in 5th at 5500 rpm ,yet will pull 80mph in 4th ). As far as I know, the advance is at full tilt at about 4000 rpm. But get that spare ignitor, that's a good price and it's nice to have spare parts!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

by not interchangeable, do you mean the bike should not run at all with an ignitor that has built in advance, or do you mean it would not function properly at rpm >5000 or so? with everything else gone over (valves, to intakes, to carbs, etc...), I did purchase the 650gs ignitor-i can't rule anything else out currently.

thanks a bunch for the time
              ken

Comment

If you have a mechanical advance, which is located on the end of the crank, and an ignitor with a built-in advance, you would have far too much advance for it to run. You need one or the other, not both.

Comment

I thought so kool aid

Comment

for it to run period?

Comment

it's electronic advance
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I have one from an 82 GS650GL. PM me with the part number from your old one just to be sure.

Comment

mine all say 32900-34210
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

problem SOLVED with the new/used ignitor! thanks for the advise, guys! it's nice to be out riding at full speed/power again. just in time for some fall rides is wisconsin here

Comment

Working...
                            X