Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Engine Side Cover

Hey all,

My stator is done for on my '81 450t. I've been trying with all my strength to pull the engine cover so I can swap in the new one (bought the Caltric unit,) but can't for the life of me pry that thing off. Any good tips/tricks to help?

Maybe I should just invest in a gym membership...
    Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM.

Its magnetic, you should be able to pry with a screwdriver from the bottom. Keep trying it will come off.

Comment

Be careful about the prying, it will leak later if it gets warped or gouged.

Don't know the 450 engine, but is there another bolt hidden under the clutch actuator cover or something?

Got a picture?

Usually the magnet gripping the stator is a problem, but not that big of a problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you still have not removed it, the gasket could be fired/dried and tightly bound to both the cover and engine case. A little judicious use of a rubber mallet (no heavy handedness required) around the perimeter might free it up enough that you can get a grip and pull it straight out without prying.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ssquires,

You can use a very thin putty knife to start loosening the cover. Before I had a rubber mallet I used a piece of 2x4 against the cover and tapped it with a hammer. Be firm but gentle. It's the rotor magnet that's holding it on as much as any stuck gasket.

Here are a few of my notes on the subject: Stator Replacement (PDF file).

Now, feed your head from the links below to learn much about the care and feeding of a vintage GS motorcycle. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My cover has a flange that you can tap with a mallet

Comment

Magnetic pull holds it on a bit but so does the fact that it sits on a dowel in the front and the starter connector gears shaft act like a rear dowel.

You have to get it started and muse TWO flat tips opposite each other and get it far enough out that your finger tips can get a grip and then pull it off. Like was said earlier..do this with even wiggling so as not to gouge any surfaces.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X