Electrical HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical HELP!

Well, not much of an expert on electrical but pretty much need help! So I bought a used GS550, it was stripped down in terms of electrical (only used headlight, and brakes), it has no turns, no electric start, nothing. Now, I had a buddy of mine help me re-wire everything in, and I got it in all good. After about a couple hours of riding, my battery just drained,. Does anyone know what it could be (HID's installed)? Too much power (installed speedo, tach, turns)? Need a new regulator/rectifier? HID draining power too fast? It's a brand new AGM battery, any help please!!!

I'd start by testing your charging system, then go from there.

Check voltage across the battery terminals with the bike off, then start it up and check again. You should notice a noticeable increase in voltage.

Comment

How many "HID's" are installed?

As I recall, they are about 35 watts each, so 1 would save some current, but two (or more) would draw more than stock. There was not a lot of excess current available to start with, anything that draws extra should probably be avoided.

Your speedo, tach and turn signals don't draw much, and are probably required by law in your area, so there isn't much choice there. As suggested, start by checking your charging system to see why it wasn't charging the battery on your ride.

By the way, that is one of the basic items you should have checked before ever leaving your driveway.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Check your charging system. Have a gander at this section of my little website.

*Electrical Section*

Also see the stator and r/r replacement guides.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X