Can I seal up a NON AGM battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I seal up a NON AGM battery?

Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on getting bsome plastics cement and doing away with the overflow and cementing the yellow caps shut on a regular styled battery.

Basically making it a sealed and non leakable battery??? Want to do this to eliminate little acid leaks on the battery boxes. Yes I have drain hoses and still theres the acid corrosion..and possibly on the bottom of swing arms as well.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Wow playing with fire there Chuck.
    I would never do that but I am afraid of exploding acid filled boxes.

Comment

never said i was gonna...but I am always thinking and pondering things such as this. They make sealed batteries, so whats the diff if someone seals up just a fill and go style battery? I was wondering so I posed the question. Besides if its goona go boom..then why dont sealed ones go boom??

But yes i remember that curiosity got the cats ballz in a wringer too!!!
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

been a long time since I was in a chem class so I dunno

Maybe theMess can explain it I think he is a chemist of sorts.

Comment

The answer is yes, the battery can burst open if you seal the vent on a conventional battery.

Years ago I saw a conventional car battery burst because is was shorted out.
          Didn't go boom, the case just split open & all the battery acid leaked out.

Comment

I had a jeep battery explode and slam the hood into the windshield. I don't think I would take even a small chance with something I'm sitting on, unless maybe you think it might help you reach some high notes.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The sealed batteries have vents that will pass gas, but not fluid.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That must be a real confidence booster.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

See...I didnt know that Steve. this is how I get edgiemicated around here!!!!

Comment

hydrogen bomb
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      See...I didnt know that Steve. this is how I get edgiemicated around here!!!!
                      OK, Chuck, here is some "outside reading" to further your edjumacation:

From Wikipedia:

Absorbed Glass Mat
                      In the absorbed glass mat design, or AGM for short, the spacer between the cells is replaced by a glass fibre mat soaked in electrolyte. There is only enough electrolyte in the mat to keep it wet, and if the battery is punctured the electrolyte will not flow out of the mats. Likewise, the mat greatly reduces evaporation, to the point that the batteries do not require periodic refilling of the water. This combination of features allows the battery to be completely sealed, which makes them useful in portable devices and similar roles.
                      To address the formation of hydrogen gas during discharge, calcium is added to the plates to absorb the gas. This only works during slow discharges, and gas buildup remains a problem when the battery is deeply or rapidly discharged. To deal with these events, AGMs often include a one-way blow-off valve, and are often known as "valve regulated lead-acid", or VRLA, designs.
                      Another advantage to the AGM design is that the electrolyte becomes the separator material, and mechanically strong. This allows the plate stack to be compressed together in the battery shell, slightly increasing energy density compared to liquid or gel versions. AGM batteries often show a characteristic "bulging" in their shells when built in common rectangular shapes.
                      The mat also prevents the vertical motion of the electrolyte within the battery. When a normal wet cell is stored in a discharged state, the heavier acid molecules tend to settle to the bottom of the battery, causing the electrolyte to stratify. When the battery is then used, the majority of the current flows only in this area, and the bottom of the plates tend to wear out rapidly. This is one of the reasons a conventional car battery can be ruined by leaving it stored for a long period and then used and recharged. The mat significantly prevents this stratification, eliminating the need to periodically shake the batteries, boil them, or run an "equalization charge" through them to mix the electrolyte. Stratification also causes the upper layers of the battery to become almost completely water, which can freeze in cold weather, AGMs are significantly less susceptible to damage due to low-temperature use.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When a lead acid battery charges, water in the electrolyte is broken down into hydrogen and oxygen. A flooded plate battery must vent these into the atmosphere or pressure will build up and the battery will explode. (The gases leaving is why flooded plate batteries have to be topped off with distilled water from time to time.)

A sealed lead acid battery like an AGM or gel cell are able to recombine the hydrogen and oxygen back into water under normal charging conditions. The gas-only relief valve is more of a safety measure in case of overcharging.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Immodium will yield the same results with the rider.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                          X