Electrical/No Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical/No Electrical

I apologize if this has been addressed previously. I searched and couldn't find what I think I am looking for. I have recently acquired a 1980 GS450L that has sat for some time (last plated 1996). It has been running within the last year but, not for any extended time. I have no knowledge of the bike's history. I bought a new battery and charged it up properly. I turn the key and get idiot lights. I hit the start switch and it rolls over for a bit. Finally got where it was trying to start then lost all power. Let it sit a few minutes electrical back up. Hit starter a few times lose all electrical again. Checked the battery with voltmeter, 12.5. When I had power it drew it down to 9.8 when trying to start. No draw down when the key is on and there is power. Once all power is off battery still shows 12.5. Seems like something is getting hot but, it didn't turn over long enough, less than 30 seconds. Turning to the experts here. Never had a Suzuki before, not much of a motorcycle mechanic and definitely not an electrical novice, let alone an expert. Ideas and help humbly accepted. Thanks!

First things first....welcome! You will shortly receive the official unofficial welcome with a whole load of info to help you out but in the meanwhile return to the main page and look up the Stator Papers which will give you a great flow chart to diagnose electrical issues.

I think what you will find is dirty and corroded connectors and contacts making the flow of electricity difficult. I would start by cleaning all contacts and connectors you can find from the fuse block on forward. Its also very important that you have good grounds (metal to metal) so check and clean those well. Suzuki grounds are black with white tracers.

With corroded and dirty connections resistance builds up in the circuit and voltage drops as it passes through these roadblocks. When voltage drops under 12 v its almost impossible to both crank the bike and have sufficient voltage to get enough spark from the coils to fire the plugs. If you check voltage from the battery all the way up to the starter button and down to the coils I'll bet you will find a substantial voltage drop of 1 volt or more which definitely not help your situation. Clean things up and tighten down all grounds.

That should get you started.

Good luck with it and when you have a chance, share some pics of your ride.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I will give your suggestions a try and see where we get. I will definitely get some pics up soon. Thanks again!

Comment

Good man. This is common to all old bikes, at least all of the last 10 I've played with.

Once you get the bike running, you should go through the Stator papers to verify that your charging system is healthy as that could cause you more grief and is likely the number 1 source of frustration around here.

Get her running first ( which also may require a cleaning of the carbs) and then let's see where you are.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X