Max Charge 13.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max Charge 13.8

Looks like I'm maxing out at about 13.8 volts at 4000rpm. Good enough?

Thanks!

Originally posted by snackie View Post
    Looks like I'm maxing out at about 13.8 volts at 4000rpm. Good enough?

Thanks!
    If you look at the quick test diagnostics you will see it is too low; clean connectors between battery and R/R.

Comment

Yeah, I've read the quick test. Just wanted to see if folks thought 13.8V was good enough. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        If you look at the quick test diagnostics you will see it is too low; clean connectors between battery and R/R.
        Is this test applicable to GS only, or to any make/model of motorcycle?
        2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
        1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
        2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
        s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
          Is this test applicable to GS only, or to any make/model of motorcycle?
          I would not call all of the quick test results to be universal truths, but I would guess most of the older carburated UJM's are going to be similar

Comment

I think the range in the service manual is 13.8 to 14.2 as an optimal upper end reading. So its at the low end.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Technically-speaking, 13.8 volts will charge the battery, but it won't charge it fully.

I had a truck years ago that never read over 13 volts when the lights were on (and I had them on all the time).
              Not sure why it was low (it went to 14 volts with lights off), but that battery lasted for 7 years.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Technically-speaking, 13.8 volts will charge the battery, but it won't charge it fully.

I had a truck years ago that never read over 13 volts when the lights were on (and I had them on all the time).
                Not sure why it was low (it went to 14 volts with lights off), but that battery lasted for 7 years.

Steve,
                You are correct that 13.8V is enough to charge if not get the battery fully charged, but that is not really driving my answer. If the R/R set point is typically 14.5v then any deviation from that is due to resistance in the connections. I figure the larger the drop the easier it is to increase. So starting out at the cusp is not really where you want to be. The larger the drop the more it is likely to grow so I like to drive it down low(total drops about 0.2V total). Typically with diligence you can get there.
                Jim

Comment

Did you rewire the charging system to cut out the stator loop up to the hand control? Add a better ground for your R/R? Check for voltage drop in the R/R power output return to the battery? Doing these things are critical toward having a reliable charging system.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

R/R Ground

Nessism,

Before checking the voltage, I had cleaned most of the connections under the seat. Also, I moved the R/R ground (black/white wire) to the battery holder. Is that right? I've attached a photo.

Thanks!

Comment

cut out the stator loop up to the hand control

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Did you rewire the charging system to cut out the stator loop up to the hand control? Add a better ground for your R/R? Check for voltage drop in the R/R power output return to the battery? Doing these things are critical toward having a reliable charging system.
                      How do you go about "cutting out the stator loop up to the hand control"?

Comment

Wire the stator directly into the R/R, bypassing the factory harness. You can solder the wires directly or use crimp on terminals. This is critical to the health of your harness because the stator loop often overheats and damages the entire harness.

As for your grounds, get them off that battery tray. That is just the sort of ground that causes problems. Go directly to a solid frame point. Clean the paint off the metal and make sure there is no rust on the attachment.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wire Stator Directly to R/R

Regarding "Wire Stator Directly to R/R", is there a tutorial for this?
                          I've not performed a mod like that before and I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done.

BTW-moving ALL grounds off the battery tray now.

Thank you.

Comment

Also, I moved the R/R ground (black/white wire) to the battery holder. Is that right?
                            Although it might look like a good ground, look again. That battery tray is likely rubber-mounted, meaning that it's all insulated.

If you run another wire from that same bolt up to the battery - terminal, it would be OK.

Locate the stator wires where they attach to the harness. If you don't know where they are, look under the back edge of the starter cover, you will see what looks like two wires. Look closer, you will see that one of them is actually a bundle of three wires. Those are your stator wires.

Follow them back, you will see where they connect to the harness. You will find that two of the wires go to the R/R, but the third one disappears into the harness, then re-appears with a different-colored stripe before it connects to the R/R. Disconnect that third wire from the harness and the harness wire from the R/R. Connect the third stator wire directly to the R/R.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The stock negative ground has a black/white wire that goes to the same bolt on the battery tray, that's why I moved the R/R ground to that spot. Couple people on the forum didn't think that was a good spot so I move all the black/white grounds to the frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X