Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1000gl starter

Hi all!
    have not posted at all on this forum yet so this is my first, but have been reading threads for couple months now, amazing amount of knowledge you guys put out there!!!
    Any ways, i have just stumbled across and bought a barn find, 1981 GS1000GL, for 300$ has not ran in over 5 years. I would like to rebuild it, just not to the extent of the fairing and luggage rack and "tow package" that this thing has right now. so i knew that things would need to be addressed before i even attempt to start engine, and get a basic list of things to be addressed in rebuild.
    1. pulled off tank, took a peek inside and rust free!
    2. pulled carbs off to freshen them up a bit, and boy do they need a cleaning, slides are all sticky and a very potent smell of varnish.
    3. once carbs were off, intake boots are completely far beyond reuse, found out they sell for around $100 a set... so i decided im making my own, i will post pictures when i finish the prototypes.
    -----which leads me to question #1.. when i have them made, the spacing will be different then stock, and what i mean is between head and carb will be approximately 3/4" longer then stock form.. it will look like "intake runners". so, be that said, does anyone think that that will affect run ability any??
    4. i pulled out starter to disassemble and rebuild it, pulled it apart and starter was completely grenaded.. rebuild not an option..
    ------question #2 ebay used starters are 100$.. which i will not spend for a used and abused part.. anyone have a place/website with reasonably rebuilt or new starters out there? i found OEM part #, does this starter cross reference with any other models??

thanks everyone for your time!!
    Attached Files

You should be able to find decent used ebay starter for $40- or at cycle junk yard. The starter motors aren't usually the reason why these critters get junked. Having a shop rebuild a basket case is likely more money.

I'd just buy the new boots and save myself lots of grief- any intake leaks from bad fitting ones will lead to frustration. Extra length ones probably mean pods for you.

I'm sure you saw the list of common issues......

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i have been selling GS starter's for 100 bucks for the past 20 years..
      1150 starter's are more
      you may find a buddy deal out there...never know..
      sound's like you'll fit in quite well here...welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by blacksmoke611 View Post
        3. once carbs were off, intake boots are completely far beyond reuse, found out they sell for around $100 a set... so i decided im making my own, i will post pictures when i finish the prototypes.
        -----which leads me to question #1.. when i have them made, the spacing will be different then stock, and what i mean is between head and carb will be approximately 3/4" longer then stock form.. it will look like "intake runners". so, be that said, does anyone think that that will affect run ability any??
        If you move the carbs further away from the engine, the stock airbox will not fit and you are going to have problems. The carbs you have will not run properly without the stock airbox and snorkel. If you intend fitting pods to make up for this, please search and read more on this forum about tuning those carbs for pods before scrapping the stock box.
        Some other members will most likely comment on this as well.

Comment

Working...
        X