Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making own wiring harness

going to make my own wiring harness

anything special i need to know? i hav basic and a lil advanced skill of wiring...just tired of the jumbled mess of wiring under me tank

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    going to make my own wiring harness

anything special i need to know?
    Just use properly-sized wire and at least some sort of color-coding.

Just remember that YOU will be that infamous "previous owner" to the next lucky guy that gets that bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

was gonna say the same about the colours... there really isn't that many different colours/combos involved and would be well worth investing in some proper wires. also make sure you use std kind of connectors for everything... in the UK we get stuff from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...insbullets.php - we use the 3.9 japanese stuff which is what is on your bike now...

take the old loom off and get a wiring diagram... start laying out wires and cable tie where the exit points are for the various bits.

make sure you use some proper loom tape too... never use electrical tape as it leave wires covered in a sticky mess... loom tape won't... and use shrink wrap, proper sheathing and invest in a tool to crimp it all together...

take yer time... well worth the effort
      Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

If your wiring is just a mess, but all still there, then a cleanup of the wires can be very succesfull. After removing all the old tape, fixing any joints, by soldering and heat shrink sleeving, checking all the connectors, cleaning them properly and replacing those which are bad will make your wiring look like new and still retain the factory wire colors.

I would avoid making up a new harnass using wire colors other than the OEM colors as anyone else, including yourself, is going to find it fairly hard to pinpoint an electrical fault on that bike in the future!

I think BassCliff has a guide on his site which I wrote quite a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
          If your wiring is just a mess, but all still there, then a cleanup of the wires can be very succesfull. After removing all the old tape, fixing any joints, by soldering and heat shrink sleeving, checking all the connectors, cleaning them properly and replacing those which are bad will make your wiring look like new and still retain the factory wire colors.

I would avoid making up a new harnass using wire colors other than the OEM colors as anyone else, including yourself, is going to find it fairly hard to pinpoint an electrical fault on that bike in the future!

I think BassCliff has a guide on his site which I wrote quite a few years back.
          I concur with this approach. Strip off the tape, and remove the terminals from the plastic sockets. Scrub terminals with a stainless steel wire brush and/or use acid to clean them. Pinch down the female terminals and reinstall/retape everything. This is much less work than building from scratch, plus the stock wire color scheme will be maintained.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I concur with this approach. Strip off the tape, and remove the terminals from the plastic sockets. Scrub terminals with a stainless steel wire brush and/or use acid to clean them. Pinch down the female terminals and reinstall/retape everything. This is much less work than building from scratch, plus the stock wire color scheme will be maintained.
            i will agree with you on that...i belive i will do this instead, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              i will agree with you on that...i belive i will do this instead, thanks
              Good call

Comment

Working...
              X