Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running lights and LED headlight

Hey fellow GSers,

My bike isn't running so I can't check for myself, but what lights (if any) are on automatically when the bike is running? I've got a 1980 GS550.

I've got a Vulcan and the turn signals on that are a dual function, so they're on whenever the ignition is on and then flash brighter when activated. The headlight doesn't come on when the ignition comes on but is always on once the bike is actually running. I was curious if the GS might be the same except I know the headlight on mine has an on/off switch and a separate hi/lo switch. If the bike doesn't have running lights, how difficult is it to make it so? I'm going to be ordering some LED turn signals soon so would I need to order a "dual purpose" turn signal? Would a standard two wire aftermarket LED turn signal work?

For my Suzuki I had been thinking of getting a headlight with LED's in it. If I go with amber LED's I can wire them in with the turn signals, but they offer one with white LED's that I would likely wire as "Always on" to make myself a little more visible in case I forget to turn the headlight on during the day.

Any opinions on the running lights and on the headlight (Both safety and aesthetics)?

Originally posted by cp___32 View Post
    My bike isn't running so I can't check for myself, but what lights (if any) are on automatically when the bike is running? I've got a 1980 GS550.

I know the headlight on mine has an on/off switch and a separate hi/lo switch.
    Does your ON/OFF switch actually work? Some bikes had the switch, but it was disabled at the factory. Some of us have removed the disabling feature and have regained control over the lights, but they were not designed that way at the factory.

Regardless; to answer your question, when the headlight switch is ON, you get headlight and tail light, along with all your instrument lighting.

Some of the larger bikes did have marker lights in the front turn signals, but I don't think the 550 ever had them. It started with the 1000 in the early 80s, then filtered down through the 850 and possibly the 750 in following years. Don't think it ever made it to the 650s or 550s.

I've got a Vulcan and the turn signals on that are a dual function, so they're on whenever the ignition is on and then flash brighter when activated. The headlight doesn't come on when the ignition comes on but is always on once the bike is actually running. I was curious if the GS might be the same except I know the headlight on mine has an on/off switch and a separate hi/lo switch.
    As mentioned above, check to see if your ON/OFF switch actually moves. If it does not move, your headlight will be ON just as soon as you turn the ignition key ON. If your switch does move, the light switch and the ignition key will have to be ON to have the headlight and tail light ON.

If the bike doesn't have running lights, how difficult is it to make it so? I'm going to be ordering some LED turn signals soon so would I need to order a "dual purpose" turn signal? Would a standard two wire aftermarket LED turn signal work?
    It's not hard at all, you just need dual-filament bulbs and sockets that will handle them properly.

Actually, you need three-wire signals, not two-wire. The third wire is a ground, which might be incorporated into the mounting of the assembly, leaving only two wires visible, but there are three electrical conduction paths involved.

For my Suzuki I had been thinking of getting a headlight with LED's in it. If I go with amber LED's I can wire them in with the turn signals, but they offer one with white LED's that I would likely wire as "Always on" to make myself a little more visible in case I forget to turn the headlight on during the day.
    You have a link to these lights? I have two of our bikes with LED headlights, but there is no "amber" about them. I think you are describing something with small accent LEDs, not really light-producing ones.

Any opinions on the running lights and on the headlight (Both safety and aesthetics)?
    Properly-adjusted lights do wonders for helping others to see you. A headlight modulator is also a wonderful tool, but it is something that needs to be used properly and courteously. Because it is a tool, it is something that can be used to enhance, but you can not rely on it do to everything for you, you still need to be on the lookout for idiots. Trust me, they are EVERYWHERE.

Adding running lights will not help your conspicuity much in daylight, but can help at night.

Adding some LED "driving lights" or accent lights to the lower part of the frame or engine guards will give you a triangle look from the front, which will help other motorists with depth perception of your bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On 81 and earlier models, you could turn headlight on/off- most 82's seem to have light wired on with ignition on whether engine is running or not. Personally, I feel you can't make yourself too visible - headlight on always, I added front marker amber lights. This winter I plan to add some small LED spots facing forward hoping to attract more attention in sunlight. From what I see on bigger bikes, extra bright lights are eyecatching.

If you opt for LED turn signals, you'll need a different flasher to compensate for lower current draw. Getting signals with always on marker lights build in is a good idea.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        On 81 and earlier models, you could turn headlight on/off- ...
        My son's first bike was an '81 450T. It had a switch, but it was locked into the ON position at the factory.

I can't find anything right now with a quick search, but I am under the impression that any bike sold in the USA, manfactured on or after January 1, 1979 had to have some means of ensuring that the headlight was ON while the bike was in operation. Did not matter if the light came on with the key, came on after the engine was started, came on when not in neutral, whatever, it just had to be on while the bike was in operation.

Since other countries did not have this law (yet), some manufacturers simply disabled switches for bikes coming here. In later years, the switches disappeared, but the wiring still existed in the main harness for those 'other' countries. That is why we have our "infamous stator loop".

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Great! Thanks for all the info and the fast replies. I popped the battery on the bike and saw that indeed my on/off switch is functioning as designed.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          You have a link to these lights? I have two of our bikes with LED headlights, but there is no "amber" about them. I think you are describing something with small accent LEDs, not really light-producing ones.

I in no way support or endorse the company above, in fact, they're about $100 more expensive than most other places around so I'd suggest anyone BUT them unless you don't like money. Their site just has good pics of the bulb.

Here's a couple videos of someone with the LEDs in action on their bike

CruiserFX Ice Crystal Halo Headlight with 34 LED's.Available in White LEDs or Yellow LEDs. LED's can be configured to be on with headlight, or integrated wit...

They're made by United Pacific. I believe GroundShock used an identical bulb from them, sans LEDs. It's called their crystal 7" bulb, and this one is the 7" crystal with 34 LEDs. I thought the turn signal might help other motorists "see" my signals a bit better with the addition of one in the headlight (Always gotta ride defensively regardless of course). I don't know though, I do kind of like the clean look of it without the LED's. But I guess the aesthetics part is all personal preference. Got all winter to decide though.

Comment

Let's just say that if you are going to spend THAT much money on a headlight (yeah, you said you could get it cheaper), it would be better to spend it on a true LED headlight, not some gimmicky item. The LEDs might look OK in the video, but I'll bet you can hardly see them in actual use on the street. They are just too close to the headlight to be recognized. You need separation to really see them well. Not to mention the fact that adding the LEDs to the headlight will reduce the size of the headlight. It looks like they were trying to use an E-Code light pattern, just have no idea how effective it might be.

We have two of the earlier version of the light shown in the link above. It is a MUCH better light than stock, it's even better than the Bosch or Autopal lights I have tried. It has a color that is like the HID lights on cars, without that faked blue tint, and is VERY well noticed in daylight, because it's different. At night, you can see very well, making it worth the money, if you do very much night riding.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

I might just go with this one for now

United Pacific 7". I like the look, I like the price and I think you're right about the visibility reduction due to the LEDs obscuring a not insignificant part of the headlight beam.

Like I said I believe that's what was on GroundShock's bike and his was simply stunning.

Going to pick up those signal lights too I think.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X