GS400 ignition key positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400 ignition key positions

Probably a very simple question for a few of you but my 1980 GS 400 has 3 positions on the ignition key barrel. OFF, then turn clockwise to ON, then I can turn clockwise once more to... what? In that 3rd position the bike is dead. What is it for?

Should have to push in on key alittle and then it locks front wheel so can't move, hopefully prevent someone from stealing bike. Should be able to push in and turn key all the way counterclock wise and you will see tail light only on, this is in case you break down along side of road, helps drivers see you from behind. terrylee

Comment

Mine doesn't work like that, it has a clearly marked OFF position then 2 other dotted positions.

OFF is, as it suggests, all electrics off. There is no steering lock in this position either.
      The first dotted position in a clockwise motion from the OFF position seems to be a full ON. Lights, indicators, and starting works from here.
      The second dotted potions is off again. Not steering lock, nada. Here is a pic:

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
        Should have to push in on key alittle and then it locks front wheel so can't move, hopefully prevent someone from stealing bike. Should be able to push in and turn key all the way counterclock wise and you will see tail light only on, this is in case you break down along side of road, helps drivers see you from behind. terrylee
        same here on a GSX400...push down at each end of turn...and I get the parking light too on the clockwise turn with one(correction BOTH) of my 400's.... the third position you show,furthest clockwise after ignition position on my switch, it actually says "Push Down" Parking or the key won't turn
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

The ignition positions on my 83 GS400E starting from the left, rotating clockwise, are:

Steering lock - OFF - ON - P/Steering lock

The catch with the P steering lock position is that your taillight stays on. I learned this by draining my battery the first night I got the bike.

Comment

exactly,n780- you explained it best!

I think you can disable the parking light by unplugging the smaller ....grey? + "darn-what-colour-can't remember-but-not-RED,not-Orange"... ... wires that come out of the switch and go into the headlamp to plug in
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-09-2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              I think you can disable the parking light by unplugging the smaller ....grey? + "darn-what-colour-can't remember-but-not-RED,not-Orange"... ... wires that come out of the switch and go into the headlamp to plug in
              I would not suggest that.

The "parking light" is also your tail light. If you disable the gray wire, you will not have a tail light when the key is in the ON position. You will still have the parking light in the LOCK position, because the brown wire that feeds the tail light is connected to the red wire at the ignition switch. That is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Instead of pulling any wires, just don't use the PARK position.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah so! thanks for correction,Steve...a little more wiring-work would be required! for what it's worth.

Comment

Here is my 1985 GS 400E Ignition, what year is your bike? Have you had any luck looking for it online?

Comment

yup, just like my switch, although it's harder to read the printing..mine are '81 GSX400E and a GSX400T ,Uladimir. At first,it was a bit difficult to find much more than this:
                    Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

and there's lots of confusion if you try googling for parts-You end up looking at parts for GS450's -then, you are on U.S. sites.

I'm not sure about your '85
                    here's one but it's an "S" not an "E"- S means it has the fairing (http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/G..._snett_500.jpg )and what parts we exactly share... Suzuki went nuts with so many models, but so did all the car-makers too. The good news is, there really are common parts on many Suzuki bikes that weren't 400cc ...some recently made.
                    The bad news is, you must take especial care of your "cosmetic" body-parts:the tank,seat,sidecovers,wheel rims, etcetera because most of the replacements for these are rare or in the scrap-heap now.
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-11-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X