Dyna S install 1982 GS1100 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S install 1982 GS1100 GL

I am installing a manual spark advance unit on a GS1100 per the Dyna S instructions. The spark advance is from a 1980 GS 850. When I mate the unit with the crankshaft end and line up the slot in the unit with the peg in the crankshaft end, the unit rests up against the crank end but does not seem to fully engage/seat. Is this normal? It seems like the unit should slide further in but that is not happening. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM. Reason: to clarify question

Update on 82 GLZ Dyna Install

Tried two more times to get the manual spark advance to fit - no luck. Apparently, the GS850 manual spark advance unit does not fit the 1982 GS1100GLZ crank end. The slotted portion is just a bit to large to engage in the crank end. What happens is the slot in the advance can just catch the top of the positioning pin, and then when I try to tighten the unit on, it leans over slightly which would then wobble once the crank is spinning. Guess I will have to go with either a stock ignition or a Dyna 2000 unit, something that doesn't require a mechanical advance.

Comment

Not quite following your issue. I think I remember it seeming odd that the magnet piece slid in and out so much, but it works great. I put one on my 82 1100 GLZ with an advance unit off an older 850 or 1000 or something. The Dyna S is definitely the way to go. Any chance of putting up a picture of whats going on?

Comment

Pics Added

Here is the round piece on the back of the mechanical advance unit.

Here is the crankshaft end showing the locating pin

When I try to engage the round piece on the back of the mech advance into the crankshaft end it is too large to fully seat.

Comment

I can't get pics out here but if the advance is truly off an 850 it will fit.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It was an ebay purchase that said it was a GS 850. Definitely a 4 cylinder since it had 1-4 and 2-3 sides, but I guess it's possible it was from something else.

Comment

measure it..if it is what it supposed to be it will fit.
              all large GS models are the same id/od on the advancer and the crank end.
              got a set of calipers?

Comment

The solid crank trigger/rotor that you pulled off the crank will have the same end.
                Make sure the dowel is not buggered up.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks guys. I ended up using the Dremel to polish the advance unit up a bit and then it went in.

Comment

Originally posted by lwitter View Post
                    Thanks guys. I ended up using the Dremel to polish the advance unit up a bit and then it went in.
                    Hello Lwitter,

I also have two 1982 GS1100glz that I am wanting to install the Dyna S DS3-2. I have searched for info on the resources forum for that exact year and model for info from owners that have installed the Dyna kit and have not found much. Were there any other parts necessary for the Dyna S to work other than the mechanical advance. The email I received from Dyna Tek representative said that I may need a timing indicator plate along with the mechanical advance.

If you had to use other parts, could you please provide the year and model the parts were pulled from so I can search for compatible parts?

Also, do you have any advice, tips, trick, do's or don'ts to keep in mind during my swap?

Comment

Working...
                    X