Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb person asking a question, or two...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb person asking a question, or two...

Since there are no dumb questions other than the one never asked... Can a coil itself have intermittent problems? Or do when it fails, it fails? 1 & 4 wernt getting hot the other day.... and when I went back to the bike and fired it up they were fine.
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Yes, they can start to fail. Usually, though, it's the other way around.
    They work fine when cold, but fail when they heat up.

Stranger things have happened.

Before you fully blame the coil, check all your electrical connections to the coil to make sure they are good.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, they can start to fail. Usually, though, it's the other way around.
      They work fine when cold, but fail when they heat up.

Stranger things have happened.

Before you fully blame the coil, check all your electrical connections to the coil to make sure they are good.

Thanks Steve. My plan was to go after the low hanging fruit and check all connections as I did find one already at the coil earlier, and repaired. Just thought I would ask, as you say stranger things have happened.... And I wasnt happy about throwing $120 at a coil set if the prob was elsewhere...
      Last edited by mvalenti; 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

It is nice to upgrade to some Dyna coils but there's no reason you couldn't put in a stock set of coils again, and they can be super cheap or even free. They rarely fail and will work great, even with a dyna ignition if you ever decide/have to upgrade the ignition.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you find that the coil is, indeed, bad, I have a pair of coils that are doing nothing but gathering dust on the shelf.

Not quite the "free" that azr mentioned, but certainly a LOT cheaper than new ones.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks again Steve. I have an extra set that came with the bike I have yet to test. Should they all be junky, I'll give u a shout. I dont have a points style ignition, is the dyna ignition that much more better-er? Maybe upgrade it next season.....
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic

Comment

If you had points, there would be no question at all, the Dyna is MUCH better.

Since you already have electronic ignition, switching to a Dyna from a running system might not gain you much, if anything. Where the Dyna will REALLY come through is if your ignitor fails. Switching to a Dyna system is cheaper than a new ignitor. Getting a used ignitor might be cheaper, but it's still ... well ... used. The Dyna has the ignitor built-in, and you can use your stock coils or upgrade to new ones.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

OH wow, I like that idea... one less goofy box..... so, is it safe to say that when i read of HP increases over a dyna ignition, its BS? saw that on ebay.....
                -Mark
                Boston, MA
                Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                sigpic

Comment

If you had a points system that needed a tune-up anyway, even new points, plugs, etc. would give you a HP increase.

Simply switching from one electronic ignition stystem to another probably won't be noticeable, except for the reliability factor.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X