Battery box and r/r wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery box and r/r wiring

Hi All my bike is a 1982 Suzuki 650GL im trying to restore then modify it, I'm hoping its all original parts it seems so, but i have no idea how to put the r/r back in and have checked, rechecked and double checked and no clue where the red wire from my fuse box goes it is 2 inches long and has a bullet connector and no idea where to mount my r/r can anyone please send me a picture i got this bike used and PO ripped battery out because all i got is a negative battery wire and a black and white wire coming off it with a bare end and the start solenoid has a empty boot and on left and black wire from the starter on the right! pictures would really help me out!

The r/r (and ignitor too) were mounted on a plate underneath the air filter box. Here's a link to a wiring diagram

The red wire might be for some accessory connection. The black/white wire is likely the stock ground wire that ran from battery box to negative battery post.
    Can you post a pic of the battery area so we can marvel at PO's handiwork?

The charging system on these bikes needs updating- do not rely on original layout; there's lots and lots of info on here about it.

Do you have stock airbox and air filter box, or has PO gone over to pod filters in pursuit of performance fantasies?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the info i actually figured out it is mounted under airbox and got it back together, now i just gotta get a + battery wire which i think has 2 wires a bullet connector which connects to fuse panel?? but im not sure where to connect the ground wires from r/r do i connect any to start solenoid?

Comment

On positive battery post, there's a big wire that connects to solenoid; solenoid is triggered by small green/white wire. The solenoid case needs to be grounded to bike frame or it won't trigger.
        As I mentioned the stock wiring on R/R needs updating; the negative wire needs to go direct to battery negative or at least to common grounding point which itself would connect direct to battery negative. There are other issues relating to the charging system. If bike hasn't run yet, best to disconnect/unplug stator from R/R, then get bike to run so you can test the charging system before it does any potential damage. On fully charged battery should start and run about half hour (more if you pull headlight fuse) without a charging system.

Eventually test charging by starting with this link

Edit; the smaller red wire on positive battery post(or from solenoid stud) connects to fuse panel thru bullet
        Last edited by tom203; 10-23-2013, 06:21 AM.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

RR - black to earth on battery as mention, red to positive on battery.... other three go to the alternator in the motor. there'll likely be wiring in the loom to send one phase via the lighting circuit... don't worry about that and wire as mentioned.

make sure you have good earths and clean the contacts, bullets, eathing points etc...

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kingjinx,

Let me share some info that may answer your questions and give you some GS lovin'.

Check my website for documentation that will include schematic, diagrams, component locations, cable routes, etc.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
            Help! Your Bike Won't Start
            DON'T DO THESE THINGS
            Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
            Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X