where to begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to begin

I am totally discouraged,overwhelmed.The replacement harness only takes care of one side of the problem.The wiring from the bike s burned so much it is hard to tell which color some of the wires are.What are your recommendations at this point? if i manage to put the harness in properly, there is nothing to connect it to up front,just burned melted messes. IMG_20131022_115050.jpg (48.5 KB)
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

I have found replacement wiring from rhode island wiring, but it is much more than the ground wire needing replaced.IMG_20131022_115059.jpg (62.5 KB)
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

You can get new terminal pins and plugs from Z1, and they are not terribly expensive.

I'd just keep on replacing the bad parts of the harness. The front sub-harness in your picture uses a couple of the 3-pin plugs. You can get a five-pack for $7 and new brass terminals in packs of 10 for another $6 (10 male/10 female). So for $15 and some wire, you can reconstruct that part of the harness.

Comment

Thanks for your input.I dont want to have a bunch of wire from auzozone replacing all the various pieces of burned wire.The color codes are important when wiring, or trying to follow a diagram.I found out only 10 colors are the max, but then you have all the tracer colors as well.

Comment

I have no vested interest in these guys, but they seem to offer most of the colours required:

Black, Blue, Brown, Green, Lt Green, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Slate, White, Yellow, Black/Red, Black/White, Black/Yellow, Blue/Red, Blue/White, Brown/Black, Brown/Blue, Brown/Green, Brown/Red, Brown/White, Green/Black, Green/Red, Green/White, Green/Yellow, White/Purple, Purple/Black, Yellow/White, Blue/Green.

'83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks big d.

Comment

Working...
            X