Battery Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Options

What do you guys think about Yuasa batteries...? (SYB14L-42)

Any other good value batteries to consider. I don't keep the battery on a trickle-charger! I have it on a CTek battery conditioner (shared with a couple of other bikes, so I rotate it through...)

Still, the last new generic name battery (Cycle Tron) lasted 3 years in the bike and never let me down once until now! Should I expect more? Can't see paying double for something "better" that ends up lasting the same amount of time anyway!

Thoughts?

Originally posted by JungleJustice View Post

Any other good value batteries to consider. I don't keep the battery on a trickle-charger! I have it on a CTek battery conditioner (shared with a couple of other bikes, so I rotate it through...)

Still, the last new generic name battery (Cycle Tron) lasted 3 years in the bike and never let me down once until now! Should I expect more? Can't see paying double for something "better" that ends up lasting the same amount of time anyway!

Thoughts?
    Keep them off the chargers and maintainers and they will last a lot longer.
    And get an AGM battery.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Keep them off the chargers and maintainers and they will last a lot longer. And get an AGM battery.
      Not on your life!

You should go and do some research on battery conditioners versus regular chargers versus a trickle charger. I have used conditioners for years - they are a MUST-have unless you're going to ride the bike weekly (no such luck in Seattle winters.) Even then, charging systems being what they are - especially older systems...

Regular chargers and trickle chargers, I would agree - keep them away! Guy parks his summer toy with a 2AMP trickle charge on it all winter long. Goes to start it and it's dead - doesn't know why! Get's a jump-start and a month later the battery finally dies for good. Guy can't figure it out...

Nah, QUALITY battery conditioners (like the CTEK) is the way to go.

Anyway, thanks for the plug on the AGM battery.

Comment

Yuasa, major brand name that has been around since I first needed to buy a mo'cycle battery (early 80s).

Would that be ...14L-A2 ...? (I recall the part number YB14L-A2)

Not on your life!

You should go and do some research on battery conditioners versus regular chargers versus a trickle charger. . . .
        You do seem to have some familiarity/experience with this.
        Yes, folks do need to make distinction between a 1amp (or even 2 amp) "trickle charger" that they get at big box auto parts store for $12, ... and a "maintainer" that regulates itself to turn completely off (float?), those cost more like 40-50-60 bucks and not found at as many places.

Good that someone uses at "trickle" charger instead of a 10 or 12 or 15 amp charger, but even still should not leave on for any longer than necessary.

Previously tkent has stated bad experience in using "maintainers/tenders" left on for long time.

I have a battery tender (brand name), but don't leave it on for weeks and weeks or months. Over the winter, I use it as a trickle charger, but am not too concerned if I leave it on for several days. I put on one bike for a few days, and move it to other bike for a few days, then set it aside for two three weeks. Then repeat.
        SOmetimes during summer, if a bike is not used for a few weeks, I may put on for a day or so.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

An AGM will get you through a SW Ohio winter without a tender, but you may need a little help on the first start in the spring. Put it on a trickle charge a bit in advance of the first ride and you should be golden.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I looked into getting a battery tender, and I'm going to pass on it.

I plan on riding for at least PART of the winter. I might go a month without riding, but in that month I plan on starting up the bike at least once a week and taking it for a spin around the block. That's all I need to do to keep the battery (and gas! and everything else!) in good shape.

I actually recently killed my battery running a compression test. I used car jumper cables and hooked it up to my car battery (WITHOUT the car running!). I let it sit for an hour or so, and it was good enough.

Comment

a 2 amp charger is NOT a trickle charger. my Oxford optimiser has a 0.6 amp output and an auto cut off feature. connect it up once a month if the bike is not used and leave it until it switches itself off. perfect battery for years.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,
                i asked a similar question a few weeks back, Battery Preservation ! hard to make sense of it all, i hope this helps and ill be watching your question with great interest.
                Last edited by Chromedome; 10-25-2013, 05:16 PM. Reason: ,

Comment

I have a Battery Tender for all my powersports equipment. One on my shovel, one on my Dyna, one of the wife's Sporty, one on the Camaro, and my new-old GS is getting one too. I've quit buying cheap-a$$ed batteries, so when I'm spending $100-plus on one, the Tenders are worth it. Since I started using them 3 years ago I have yet to buy a replacement battery for any of the listed machinery when I used to have to replace at least 1 battery a year, if not 1 in every machine.
                  To me the way to do it is to just buy 1 unit for every couple machines. Then go to Batteries Plus and get a couple more of the pigtails for hooking the Tender to your battery. I prefer the terminal ring style over the alligator clips cuz I leave them on permanently anyway. About once a month through the winter I switch the charger over to a different machine. They are tiny and portable, so you can take them on a trip if needed, and you can get adapters to plug in a cell phone or other device to charge while you ride. I think they are the only way to go, but I'd start with a really good quality battery first.
                  I just bought an Xtreme AGM type (at the suggestion of folk here) and it seems like a good battery. $95 at Batteries Plus, but you can mount it in any position except upside down. One word of warning though: though the battery I got was listed for my machine (83 gs650gl), it would not fit in my battery cage. No matter in my case; I'm customizing it and building new bracketry for all the electrics and battery anyway.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 650cafe View Post
                    I have a Battery Tender for all my powersports equipment. One on my shovel, one on my Dyna, one of the wife's Sporty, one on the Camaro, and my new-old GS is getting one too. I've quit buying cheap-a$$ed batteries, so when I'm spending $100-plus on one, the Tenders are worth it. Since I started using them 3 years ago I have yet to buy a replacement battery for any of the listed machinery when I used to have to replace at least 1 battery a year, if not 1 in every machine.
                    To me the way to do it is to just buy 1 unit for every couple machines. Then go to Batteries Plus and get a couple more of the pigtails for hooking the Tender to your battery. I prefer the terminal ring style over the alligator clips cuz I leave them on permanently anyway. About once a month through the winter I switch the charger over to a different machine. They are tiny and portable, so you can take them on a trip if needed, and you can get adapters to plug in a cell phone or other device to charge while you ride. I think they are the only way to go, but I'd start with a really good quality battery first.
                    I just bought an Xtreme AGM type (at the suggestion of folk here) and it seems like a good battery. $95 at Batteries Plus, but you can mount it in any position except upside down. One word of warning though: though the battery I got was listed for my machine (83 gs650gl), it would not fit in my battery cage. No matter in my case; I'm customizing it and building new bracketry for all the electrics and battery anyway.
                    battery tender uses SAE connectors, like my Eclipse and Gearz electric vests. I've also changed the plug on my Tourmaster electric gear to SAE connectors. Also have adapters to charge through USB off of them and to operate a small inverter.

It works very well. I don't ever like to leave my battery tender plugged in all the time. I'm out of town a lot, and mine get warmer than I like. I mostly use the least expensive AGM battery Batteries Plus stocks. My bikes usually will crank easily after six to ten months sitting. I also have some cheap float chargers from Harbor Freight, and a couple others. On a motorcycle battery, 2 amps is way more than a trickle. half amp to three quarter amp should be plenty.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You seem very opinionated for someone who only gets three years out of your batteries.
                      Seattle winters aren't so bad. Some years it doesn't even snow.
                      Motorcycle was my only transportation there for years.
                      They do make rain gear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        You seem very opinionated for someone who only gets three years out of your batteries.
                        Seattle winters aren't so bad. Some years it doesn't even snow.
                        Motorcycle was my only transportation there for years.
                        They do make rain gear.
                        I didnt say that I only get 3 years. I said that since I started using them about 3 years ago I havent had to replace one. Before that I had to replace them typically once a year. So far thats a 66% improvement rate. So yeah, my opinion is strongly in favor of them. And 3 years in a Harley is more like 6 or 8 in a buttery-smooth I-4.

Comment

Some Girls do ! Some Girls Dont !

Comment

So I need a new battery for my 81 GS750 (YB14L-A2) and as I live in Northern Michigan, we have pretty harsh winters up here. I wanted to buy a battery but I'm worried about it getting toasted or at least using up some if its live span over a period I wont even ride it. I just finished my rebuild and am waiting on coils in the mail before it will run but my old battery wont take any charge. I know battery tenders will keep them healthy but I'm thinking about waiting to buy new. If I remove the battery and store it inside off of a trickle charge (disconnected entirely) will that likely take away from some if its life? Is trickle charge the only way to go about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Weeksz View Post
                              So I need a new battery for my 81 GS750 (YB14L-A2) and as I live in Northern Michigan, we have pretty harsh winters up here. I wanted to buy a battery but I'm worried about it getting toasted or at least using up some if its live span over a period I wont even ride it. I just finished my rebuild and am waiting on coils in the mail before it will run but my old battery wont take any charge. I know battery tenders will keep them healthy but I'm thinking about waiting to buy new. If I remove the battery and store it inside off of a trickle charge (disconnected entirely) will that likely take away from some if its life? Is trickle charge the only way to go about it?
                              The only thing I can offer is that storing off a tender helps NONE. I had mine unhooked for about 4 months. Battery was only 3 months old, AGM. Now it's kaput.

Comment

Working...
                              X