Starter relay replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter relay replacement

My '79 GS400 starter worked a few weeks ago but is dead now. The starter switch on the handle bars is live and sends 12v all the way to the starter relay but nothing happens. If I jump the terminals on the relay the stater motor kicks in so I figure there is a good chance I've got a dud relay.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement relay from either online and shipped to Australia or perhaps I can substitute a part?

Pull your old one out and take it to an auto lecky or Supercheap (etc) .
    They're nothing special , they'll have one on the shelf .
    Be a bit careful with the terminals when you attach the cables to it as you can spin the terminals and wreck them fairly easily .
    I lock the terminals in place with a nut first , then attach the wires .

Cheers , Simon .
    Last edited by simon kuether; 10-28-2013, 11:44 PM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Before you do ANYTHING with the solenoid (relay), make sure it is well-grounded.

Most of them are mounted to the side of the battery box, which is rubber-mounted. There is a black/white wire that should be under one of the mounting bolts to the solenoid to ground it. Without that wire, it will not work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ha! Steve, I was just coming back to post the *fixed* tag on this thread and read your comment. That's exactly what it was. I looked at the wiring diagram in the "worth it's electronic weight in gold" Clymer Manual and noticed the starter disconnect switch which hangs off the relay and has something to do with the clutch. Eyeball the relay and, hello a loose terminal for the disconnect switch. A few turns of the screwdriver and presto, all good!

Comment

You can get a starter solenoid at any hardware shop, In the Lawn mower dept

Comment

Originally posted by brettule View Post
            Ha! Steve, I was just coming back to post the *fixed* tag on this thread and read your comment. That's exactly what it was. I looked at the wiring diagram in the "worth it's electronic weight in gold" Clymer Manual and noticed the starter disconnect switch which hangs off the relay and has something to do with the clutch. Eyeball the relay and, hello a loose terminal for the disconnect switch. A few turns of the screwdriver and presto, all good!
            Actually the "starter disconnect switch" in the clutch interrupts the "hot" side, not the ground, but at least you found your problem.

By the way, if you would like to bypass that switch so that you don't have to pull the clutch every time, it is easy to do in less than two minutes, with only a Phillips screwdriver.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Arghhh!!! Just when all was going well. I rode the old girl for about an hour today, stopped and started a number of times without an issue. I just tried it again and this time it just clicks but doesn't start. Sound like the solenoid is engaging but it won't turn the starter motor. If I use a screwdriver to jump the solenoid/relay terminals it starts to crank. Stop, try the starter switch again and it just clicks.

Comment

Check your battery
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Battery is new.

Comment

If all connections are good, battery new, and jumping the solenoid allows it to crank, the solenoid is bad. Usually, if it clicks but does not start either the coil that closes the points is weak or the points that make the connection are too burned to make a solid connection.
                    Follow SqDancerLynn1's advice and pick one up at the hardware store.

Comment

A lawn tractor solenoid from lowes cost $12.80.suzuki costs from $40 to $79.00
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
                      X