Renobruce oil temp setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renobruce oil temp setup

Has anyone installed the oil temp setup Renobruce was selling a while back? It came with a sender, a gauge, and a mounting cup for the gauge. I believe the sender needed to be installed in an oil drain plug drilled and tapped for the sender. Is that correct? Does the magnet in the plug create a problem drilling and tapping? I've been trying to get in touch with Bruce, but without any luck. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
    1979 GS 1000

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
    Has anyone installed the oil temp setup Renobruce was selling a while back? It came with a sender, a gauge, and a mounting cup for the gauge. I believe the sender needed to be installed in an oil drain plug drilled and tapped for the sender. Is that correct? Does the magnet in the plug create a problem drilling and tapping? I've been trying to get in touch with Bruce, but without any luck. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
    There are four chrome hex plugs on each side of the motor. Eight total.
    On the lower two take one out (one you can see so I'd go with the one closer to you) and install the gauge. I'd use a some Teflon tape on the threads.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef, I'm being dense...

... but I looked at my engine pretty thoroughly yesterday, and I don't see the plugs you're talking about. Any chance you have a pic of what you mean? Sorry about not getting it; this IS on a 1979 gs 1000 2V engine?
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
        ... but I looked at my engine pretty thoroughly yesterday, and I don't see the plugs you're talking about. Any chance you have a pic of what you mean? Sorry about not getting it; this IS on a 1979 gs 1000 2V engine?
        They are hex nuts. Two oil the cams and two are at the bottom of the head. Outer portion of the engine where your legs rest while riding. I can't do pics right now since I'm out in the middle of the pacific.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

those plugs are not on the 2V GS1000 motor. the only hex plug is on the R/H side of the engine, at the bottom rear of the barrels. if the thread size is the same it should work ok there
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            those plugs are not on the 2V GS1000 motor. the only hex plug is on the R/H side of the engine, at the bottom rear of the barrels. if the thread size is the same it should work ok there
            I got one from, as well, and haven't installed it yet, but I think that is where it goes!
            I have to look, myself....

1979 GS1000

Comment

I bought one of those setups and it worked well for a while, then it would never return to 0 with the engine turned off. I pmed Renobruce several times trying to get a replacement gauge with no response.

Comment

I have one of Bruce's oil pressure gauge installed in the port on the right side of the engine, and I wondered if that point might not show the oil temp as accurately as one where the sender was in the sump. I had thought about using a T on that port.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

Hey, Agemax, do you think putting the temp sender on a T with the pressure gauge in the galley on the right side of the engine would be accurate enough? Or maybe mounting it in the oil filter cover; there is a drain plug at the bottom of the filter cover plate, that maybe could be modified to take the sender. A lot easier to try to mount it on the filter plate and be able to replace the cover if it doesn't work out well there than the oil pan.
                  Last edited by jknappsax; 11-12-2013, 10:12 PM.
                  1979 GS 1000

Comment

i think it would be accurate. there is always constant oil flow there and it will give you a consistent reading of the oil temp. as it flows up to the head.
                    the oil filter cover will work just as well but will be slightly more difficult to access with the exhaust in the way and more prone to dirt and crud build up flung up from the front tyre.
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The 80-81 gs750 16v have an oil pressure switch in the middle of the front filter cover. The sender wire comes down the right side of the motor held in place by wire holder bolted through by the oil pan bolts. A temp sender would probably work there as well if you can't get anywhere else. I would prefer to tap into the distribution block under the carbs; that is where the 16v 1100's sense temperature. Works for pressure as well.

Comment

I've got an oil cooler adapter (with a thermostat) mounted to that port. Maybe replacing the oil pressure switch with the sender would work.
                        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          The 80-81 gs750 16v have an oil pressure switch in the middle of the front filter cover. The sender wire comes down the right side of the motor held in place by wire holder bolted through by the oil pan bolts. A temp sender would probably work there as well if you can't get anywhere else. I would prefer to tap into the distribution block under the carbs; that is where the 16v 1100's sense temperature. Works for pressure as well.
                          Thanks again, as usual, Jim.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                          X