Arggg! Wiring problem has me stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arggg! Wiring problem has me stumped.

S 1100, 1982. I have power to the fuse block on the top two fuses. Nothing on the bottom three and no power to the ignition lead.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

do you look at the ignition switch where it connects into the harness, mine was melted

Comment

Yah, not melted. There's no power to the connector at that point either.
      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

there is a connector under the tank that also melts

Comment

I'll check that.

Comment

Not burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
              S 1100, 1982. I have power to the fuse block on the top two fuses. Nothing on the bottom three and no power to the ignition lead.
              The only thing between the upper and lower fuses is an ignition switch

Comment

Got it. Battery was super low and a couple of wires were iffy. Not started yet, but it powers uo.

Comment

got it. Battery was super low and a couple of wires were iffy. Not started yet, but it powers uo.
                  ok ..................

Comment

Top fuse is the Main (15amp).
                    That top fuse powers the ignition swtich (red wire).
                    WHen swtich is ON, the swtich powrs the orange wire, and the orange wire powers the HEADlight fuse, the IGNition fuse and the SIGNAL fuse. Those three fuses should all be powered at the same time.

But you say you have only one of those three fuses powered. SOunds like a problem internal to the fuse block. Or make sure the fuses are pushed in al the way. See if the fuses wiggle around.

ANd the bottom fuse is the AUX fuse. That fuse and the MAIN fuse should be powered all the time, even when swtich is off. So that sounds like something else pointing to a problem in the fuse block itself.

Last edited by Redman; 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The fuse block itself is subject to corrosion and it is common.

Once the corrosion gets too high on the contacts resistance builds until you either get electrical failure, or heat, often both, which is why they sometimes melt.

All is not lost as the stock fuse block on your bike has a cover that snaps off and with the cover off you can remove and clean the blades and contacts, which allows you to restore it to close-to-new condition.

Before removing any blades, take a close-up photo of the box with the cover off, so you will have no later confusion of where everything goes, then get some fine emery cloth and go to to work.
                      "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                      Winston Churchill

Comment

You guys nailed it! The bike powered up, then went dead, then powered up, etc. I brushed my thumb across the fuse block and the power would flicker on and off, Simple sanding of the terminals and she's good as new. Thanks for your help, it's nice to have such knowledgable guidance.

Comment

Great news! Now take advantage of the opportunity and ride the bike as winter will soon arrive, even in Seattle.

It is gone now, but we got out first wee, wet, snowfall last night.

Such a little bit of snow or the 2 degrees below freezing means little, but as soon as they start dumping sand on the roads I take that as THE sign that says the bike has to go away.
                          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

the power would flicker on and off, Simple sanding of the terminals and she's good as new. .....
                            Terminals .... ?

Terminals of the fuses them selves?

Terminals in the fuse block where fuses plug in?

Terminals where the connector plugs into the fuse block?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                            X