Bike won't start! Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't start! Please help!

I just bought a '80 GS850G. When I went to test ride it (mid morning, about 70 degrees), it started fine. I went back the next night, payed the man, and rode it home (late evening, about 60 degrees), no problem. I went to start it the next morning (early morning, about 30 degrees), and it would not start. I gave up trying after 15min because I needed to get to work. Get off work, go home and try again (early afternoon, about 65 degrees), and it starts right up. This morning (low 60s) won't start. My start up procedure is what worked for my last bike. Pull the choke out, crack the throttle 3 times, hit the start button, give a little more gas when the engine fires, and then leave the throttle alone until it's warmed up. The choke cable doesn't seem to do anything with this bike. Also, when the bike is running, it seems to idle rather low. Just under 1000 RPMs. Please help! This is my only transportation.

Here ya go!

Start maintaining the bike and when you are done it will start instantly every time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If all systems are working fine, these bikes should require no throttle at all. Key on, choke on, hit button and it starts after a second or so, Warm for 1-3 minutes, feathering off the choke slightly so that it dosen't idel above 1200 rpm's. I believe the manual states 800-1200 rpm as the proper idel. I get on my bike and after I've gotten down the road a couple of hundered feet, I take the choke off completely. A couple of things to check:

1-Take the oil filler cap of the crankcase and smell if there is gas in the oil.
      2-Check to see if the choke cable is connected and moving something on the carbs.
      3-Check the petcock is set on run, not prime or reserve.
      4-Check that the air box is stock and sealed properly.

Let us know what you find. Cheers.

cg
      Last edited by Charlie G; 11-15-2013, 11:37 PM.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Biggest cause of cold start problems is the valves being too tight.
        Adjust the valves!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check my sig.

Comment

Working...
          X