Smaller battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller battery?

I'm not very experienced with electronics or electricity. Can you get a smaller battery for the GS? I have a friend with an Aprilia that has a battery 1/4 the size of ours! That one is Lithium though.

I used the AGM battery out of my KTM on my GS. It''s about 1/3 the size of the GS battery. It worked fine. They are cheap too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How do I know if it is compatible? Are there things that must be met? Obviously it must also be a 12v and have enough cranking amps to start the 750 right? I really don't know anything about this.

Comment

Since you admit that you don't know anything about it, why are you trying to play "engineer" and change things around?

Yeah, you can use a smaller battery, but you had better be SURE that ALL of your maintenance is up-to-date,
        so your bike will start with the first push of the button, EVERY time.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good point ! I have size requirements to make the bike look right.

Comment

A lithium battery with the same capacity as the GS battery is a good bit smaller.

Big drawback for lithium batteries is that they do not tolerate being over discharged. They can not be recharged if you completely discharge them.

That's why laptops & cell phones shut off unexpectedly when the battery get low. Its done to protect the battery.

Comment

Another 'problem' with lithium batteries is that they require a rather specific set of charging parameters. Our rather primitive GS charging systems do not meet those parameters. While the battery may appear to do the job initially, the batteries will not last nearly as long as they should. Add in the fact that they are more expensive to buy, and you end up with a rather expensive 'small-battery option'.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

It's about "The Look" Steve,he's one of those

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  It's about "The Look" Steve,he's one of those
                  Just trying to make sure "the lookers" are educated.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by ChewedFood View Post
                    How do I know if it is compatible? Are there things that must be met? Obviously it must also be a 12v and have enough cranking amps to start the 750 right? I really don't know anything about this.
                    A 12v AGM battery is compatible. Anything Lithium is not. Mine was about three by four by 2.5 inches or so, can go upside down or any other way. Not sure about cranking the 750, mine is a 550 but it spun it up just fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe so but I've given up on the here today,gone tomorrow crowd.The big plans without any idea what they're doing guys,this one seems like they're poster boy.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        Maybe so but I've given up on the here today,gone tomorrow crowd.The big plans without any idea what they're doing guys,this one seems like they're poster boy.

After the research I did yesterday, I decided to not try Lithium batteries just yet. I did find out that there is one in my KTM though.

Comment

check out starkpower.com...they sell lithium batteries that are direct replacement and come with a charger...these batteries weight 1/3 of a stock battery..and last 10 years...they are worth a look...

Comment

Working...
                          X