flaky indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flaky indicators

Most of the time the indicators on my '79 GS400 work fine, however sometimes the front left bulb doesn't work and so (I guess the bulbs create resistance?) the flasher doesn't work, it's just stays on solid. The bulb is ok and I put a multimetre over the contacts and it showed it working too. Quite odd. Sometimes if I just cancel the indicators and then try again it works. Any ideas?

Try a new bulb- sometimes the filament gets "flaky" and conducts at random times.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If that will not work check the grounds.
      Shine up if needed.

Comment

And all the connectors.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

(I guess the bulbs create resistance?)
          not exactly: two bulbs draw more current through the turn signal relay.
          Correct me someone if I am wrong, because I haven't checked these internally, but I EXPECT these are the old fashioned device where there's a bimetal strip in there, gets hot with the current flow and bends "OFF" the contact. After awhile it cools and pops back on. The tick,tick,tick is the thing bending, just like those little clickerfrogs some of us might remember...
          So a bulb not passing full current means there's not enough juice to heat the relay and a signal stays on.

Comment

Working...
          X