250V HEAD fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250V HEAD fuse?

Bike will not start after I just replaced all my fuses per what the fuse box cover says, from top to bottom:

10A
    10A
    10A
    15A
    10A

I noticed the one of the old fuses, the first fuse from the top, which the cover says is "HEAD", had a fuse which said "250V"

I put that fuse back in and the bike starts. What gives?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
    -Bob
    For 80GS1100E

The fuse is rated for use up to 250 volts @ 10 amps. If you take fuses in and out and things randomly work, I suspect you have corrosion. You need bright and shiney connections everywhere. Dialectric grease keps it from corroding after it's shined.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      The fuse is rated for use up to 250 volts @ 10 amps. If you take fuses in and out and things randomly work, I suspect you have corrosion. You need bright and shiney connections everywhere. Dialectric grease keps it from corroding after it's shined.

cg
      I agree there is probably corrosion. When all is working I can jiggle them all over the place and nothing, i.e., it's impossible actually hard to make it fail. Then when it does fail I just tap on the fuse box cover and the head lights come back on and the warnings on the dash go out. I found my bottle of DeoxIT and I will give them all a good cleaning/soaking. Thanks

Comment

When you have corrosion on one part, there is likely more elsewhere, so look at other connectors as well.

While you are doing the clean-up, do yourself a favour and add a second cable from the negative terminal on the battery, as a supplementary ground, and fasten it to the bike at a second, clean, location.

A poor ground can lead to failure of more expensive parts, like R./R and stator, so this is cheap insurance.
        "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X