No announcement yet.

Battery charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have three bikes, a random battery(long story) and a 72 Chevy truck that I do the Steve way. All's good on the eastern front.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Thanks again, I'll get that unit, 21 bucks is cheap.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Just two issues:
      1. The charging rate is WAY too much.
      2. Although it says "fully automatic", it never really shuts off.

Better would be THIS UNIT for about $21.

As others have mentioned, a lower charge rate is better, especially with these smaller (compared to cars) batteries. The "charger/maintainer" will charge the battery fully, then turn off and go into a "monitor" mode which will monitor the voltage and turn on only when necessary. Essentially, it does the same thing as tkent's suggestion of only charging a few hours a month, but you don't have to remember to check it.

-Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Well, I think using this charger

has boiled my 1 yr old battery... I have added DI water and tried to resurrect it, but its not holding a charge... I will run the stator tests as well as the reg/rec test also, just to make sure its not the charging system at fault. Thought I was home free this summer with the dyna ignition and coil install... drat....
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          I have a Battery Tender Jr and it works very well for my purposes.

750mA charge rate (good for small powersports batteries), automatically goes into "maintenance mode" when the battery is charged, so you can leave it on all winter if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
          I have that unit also. I use it for my motorcycle and lawnmower. It is a great plug it in and forget it unit.

I also have an actual 2,10,15 amp charger for when I want to charge a battery faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The Battery Tender (a registered trademark) and its little brother, Junior, are both good units, but the Schumacher unit that koolaid_kid and I linked to do exactly the same thing for considerably less money.

If you absolutely insist on spending more money, though, you can go to Sears and get that same Schumacher unit, but it will now have a "DieHard" label on it and it will cost about $10 more.

If you wait for them to go sale ..then apply ones employee discount... and buy them on a Friends & Family day (10%off) ...They are really affordable and the Craftsman label is no big deal...(I have 3 of them and a Battery Tender Jr and a Schumacher Battery Maintainer - 3 motorcycles, lawn tractor)
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Edited for cinematic effect

Originally posted by BiomedDR View Post
              I also have an actual 21,015 amp charger for when I want to charge a battery faster.
              Your post has quite a bit more 'snap' this way, doesn't it? Not to mention 'crackle' and 'pop'...
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                Your post has quite a bit more 'snap' this way, doesn't it? Not to mention 'crackle' and 'pop'...
                Hey I could charge a battery in an instant with one of those!

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  LOL! now thats funny
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic

Comment

For those this side of the pond; Lidl and Aldi both offer maintenance chargers for around £12 / €15. In the last few years I've gathered four of them and leave them dotted around doing duty - not lost a battery because of them, yet. Only drawback is, unlike the CTEK they're based on (CTEK make them for Aldidl) they don't have an auto-resume if mains power fails, but it's no biggie to remember to re-set them.
                    Prior to that, I was using a normal iron core trickle charger on a timer and current-limiting resistor, which worked well enough, but certainly wasn't fit and forget.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X